[conspire] Customising Ubuntu

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jan 20 16:41:07 PST 2005

At last night's EBLUG installfest, a fellow whose name I can't quite
recall (my apologies), but who also attends CABAL meetings, brought a
ThinkPad 600 on which he'd installed the new-ish Ubuntu Linux 4.10
"Warty Warthog" distribution release.  It had a problem that a lot of
text was rendered in a rather blocky and unpleasnt fashion, as if the
fonts were slightly corrupted.  (There's no reason to believe the fonts
were corrupted; I'm just saying they looked slightly misshapen.)

Here's a pair of articles about "Customising Ubuntu":

http://www.tuxme.com/node/315
http://www.tuxme.com/node/340

Part II (the 2nd link) includes a bunch of tips about post-installation
improvement / additions, such as the ever-popular "How do I add
proprietary, non-redistributable multimedia software $FOO to my distro?"

But I notice one of the other items is "Smoother Fonts":

   This will install some extra anti-aliasing to your fonts making them
   look smoother. You'll probably want to avoid this if your system is on
   the slower side.  Detailed instructions can be found here.
   http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=4456&highlight=smooth+fonts

I hope that helps!