[conspire] urgent, better application needed

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jan 12 19:15:35 PST 2005

Quoting bruce coston (jane_ikari at yahoo.com):

> this shouldn't be urgent but is urgent enough.
> Dad thought getting the stuff off a USGS website would
> take 1 hr. tops. We need a better tool to grab a page
> and its pictures so we can make the small changes we
> need for the E.V.'s purposes....

Try this:

$ wget  --level=1  --recursive  --convert-links  http://path/to/page.html

If you can't do that because you're on Win98, try booting a Knoppix CD
to do it, then put the retrieved files onto your father's hard drive.

(Sometimes I have to wander through wget's manpage and retry a few
times, to pick the best set of options.  But the "--level=1" attempts to
prevent following more than a single level of linking, so that you'll
get only files _directly_ linked from page.html .)

In case it wasn't obvious, "http://path/to/page.html" is intended to
stand for the USGS page's full URL.  Obviously, you should use that URL,
instead.