[conspire] Re: debian 3.0_r4 .iso's? and a rant against GNU's libtool(1)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Feb 18 15:03:56 PST 2005

Quoting Eric De Mund (ead-conspire at ixian.com):

> Do you have debian-3.0r4 .iso's available for burning at your house,
> were I to visit with a handful of CD-R's?

Well, I didn't until about a minute ago.  I've just started pulling
down, at an initial 40 kB/sec, the nine CD images entailed for the i386
architecture.  (You didn't specify, so I assumed.  For all I know, you
could have meant AMD64/EM64T.)

Those images are listed here:
ftp://ftp.uninett.no/pub/linux/debian-iso/images/3.0_r4/i386/

I keep a list of all the distro images I have available for duplication
here:  http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/installfest/#distros  You'll notice
that I hadn't bothered to update 3.0/woody for i386 since 3.0r0.

[libtool:]

>       I'm *extremely* disappointed with the design of this! It appears
>       to be designed in such a way that I cannot have Slackware .tgz
>       packages installed under /usr, my own manually compiled packages
>       installed under /usr/local, and the two living harmoniously to-
>       gether.

Bizarre.  Not sure the Debian package behaves differently.  You're
welcome to build a few things on one of my Debian systems using a guest
account, if you want to check.

If the current rather pokey download speeds continue, looks like about
4.5 hours for each of the seven main disks, and less for the two update
disks (as they're smaller).  I've got a shell script doing all nine
fetches using wget.