[conspire] Re: Linux hosting

William R Ward bill at wards.net
Wed Feb 16 14:07:42 PST 2005

Rick Moen writes:
>I walk away from that with an entirely different lesson:  Never, ever,
>ever let someone else register your domain on your behalf.  For one
>thing, it's extremely common for them to list themselves as Registrant,
>which can be nine kinds of hell to fix, because that designates the
>_owner_ of the domain, who is supposed to be the last-word authority for
>everything else.

Amen.

>Big guy, little guy:  Doesn't matter.  Either way, you've been severely
>shot in the foot when that happens.
>
>Register your domains, yourself.  That way, even if you don't know the
>first thing about DNS or server administration, at least you'll _own_
>them.  Then, you can get ISP help in fixing things up.

Insert plug for joker.com here.  They have a nice Web-based DNS
management system so you don't even have to worry about that.  Just
plug in the IP address(es) to the right spots on the form.  They even
host mail and Web forwarding.  All this, and registration too, for $12
a year.  I've been using them for years now and love 'em.

--
William R Ward               bill at wards.net             http://bill.wards.net