[conspire] Re: conspire Digest, Vol 21, Issue 8

William R Ward bill at wards.net
Wed Feb 16 11:33:02 PST 2005

Barton L. Phillips writes:
>I too just cleaned my garage and found several sub 100MB IDE disk
>drives, but the real find was an old (and very nice) S100 bus machine. I
>had but this in a box and up in the top of the garage when I bought my
>first IBM PC with a huge 10MB hard drive. The old S100 bus had a 8086
>card in it and the eight inch CPM diskettes. I actually hate to throw
>this out. The power supply was huge with a soft core transformer (linear
>power, none of those switchers) the size of a toaster. The box would
>make a great boat anchor, but I don't have a boat.
>
>It's kinda sad to look back at this old relic. I think I bought it in
>1984 (I had just turned 40) and it brings back memories of a time when I
>really did know just about everything about my computer, my OS, and all
>of the hardware. Boy I sure can't say that today.
>
>I wish I could find a museum somewhere that wanted this antique (maybe
>Antique Road Show could give me some tips.) If anyone wants it they can
>have it for free (just kidding). I am afraid it goes to the recycle
>place, maybe I can get a couple cents for all that copper in the
>transformer.
>
>This is just one reason I hate cleaning my garage.

There are people who will want that.  If you don't find a taker here,
consider selling it on ebay or craigslist.  Or take it to the Vintage
Computer Festival next fall and sell it there.

But by all means, don't throw it out.

--
William R Ward               bill at wards.net             http://bill.wards.net