[conspire] command-line ISPs, self-hosting, etc.

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Feb 10 12:40:45 PST 2005

Quoting Adrien Lamothe (a_lamothe at yahoo.com):

> Have you ever used OpenNIC/OpenDNS for free domain
> registration? Would you recommend it? What method
> are you using for your self-hosted domains?

"DNS is a consensus reality."  -- D. Marti

(Deirdre will have to speak for herself, but....)

Systems for using alternative root nameservers are interesting, and
useful as an adjunct to the standard 13 *.root-servers.net ones -- but
have the serious problem that not a lot of people's hosts recognise
(e.g.) *.coop FQDNs, at all.

If you want to be found by the general public, you pretty much have to
either ask people to use IP addresses, in which case they look at you
oddly, or have namespace in one or more of the regular gTLDs or ccTLDs.

At the same time, systems like OpenNIC are a useful check on the
effrontery of ICANN in thinking it runs the Internet.  Besides, just
imagine:  You can have your own .cabal namespace!

Me, I use an OpenSRS reseller and have my primary host identity in .com .