[conspire] Obscure Way to Drastically Improve User Experience under Debian or K/X/Ubuntu (or MEPIS or Knoppix/Kanotix, etc.)

mark weisler mark.weisler at comcast.net
Tue Dec 27 06:07:04 PST 2005

On Saturday 24 December 2005 22:43, Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:
> Most RPM-based distros, as well as DEB-based Fink, provide an optional
> package, sometimes installed by default, that magically makes tabbing in
> the bash shell context-sensitive. For example, without this package, if
> you type "cd foo" and press tab when you have a file named foo1 and a
> folder named foo2, it will beep and not do anything.
snip...
> Uncomment them and save changes. The next time you start a
> shell, tabs will be context-sensitive.
This useful tip works for me. Thanks for passing it on. Might it be good to
give this tip wider circulation by, say, offering it to Linux Journal or a
similar purveyor of tips and tools?

--
Mark Weisler
mark.weisler at comcast.net
PGP Key 4096/1024 23FFF8B468E462B6
Key fingerprint = 87D5 A77B FC47 3CC3 DFF0  586D 23FF F8B4 68E4 62B6