[conspire] Darlene's VA Linux 420

Daniel Gimpelevich daniel at gimpelevich.san-francisco.ca.us
Wed Dec 21 22:08:33 PST 2005

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 12:56:03 -0700, Darlene Wallach wrote:

> Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:
>> You know, you could head this issue off at the pass with a newer BIOS. I
>> found the specs for the 420 here:
> Daniel,
> Thank you for responding and sending the links!
> After further research into my system using a script,
> system-info, written by Karsten M. Self,
> <kmself at ix.netcom.com>. My BIOS supports ACPI, I have
> a CA81020A, which is listed as an updated BIOS.
> It is taking me quite some time to go thru menuconfig
> and answer/select the options.
> Darlene

Instructions on BIOS flashing that board are at:

The BIOS ChangeLog is at:

The BIOS itself (in a standard ZIPfile, despite the .exe) is at:

The last time you brought the machine to CABAL, it had this problem:

The manual for the 420 is at:

Pay special attention to pages 56-59, especially the part about setpci.
You wanted to know how to boot it from SCSI. An educated guess would be
that it has a Symbios 8951U card, but we'll double-check that next time
you bring the machine to CABAL. The manual for that card is at:

If the Ctrl-C hotkey does not work as described there, it may be necessary
to flash the SCSI BIOS. Instructions for doing so are at:

The SCSI BIOS itself is at: