[conspire] Re: penlug DNS seems to be down...

Bill Ward bill at wards.net
Mon Dec 12 15:01:30 PST 2005

On 12/12/05, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:
> Quoting Bill Ward (bill at wards.net):
[...]
> Something happened to joker.com's own domain records on 2005-12-08.
> I can't tell what that was, at this date.  You might ask them, and see
> what they have to say.

Well, I assume you've heard about the whole Ebay Christmas issue?  It
seems someone phished ebay and did some domain registration hijinks on
Ebay's behalf using joker.com, and joker.com was unresponsive when
Ebay tried to breathe down their necks about it.  They ended up
getting Network Solutions to pull the plug on that domain, and my
guess is somehow that ended up affecting joker itself.  I don't know
how though, and maybe it's just a coincidence.

But yes, clearly some aspect of joker.com's registration was certainly
altered on 12-08.

> > One other important feature that Joker offers is web and email
> > forwarding.  I use this to get all my email routed to my gmail
> > account, and gmail's "Accounts" feature to have my outgoing mail
> > appear to come from my own domains.  I also use the Web forwarding so
> > that certain domain/host names redirect the user to the canonical Web
> > address for the site.  Both features require using Joker-hosted DNS,
> > which alas means that providing my own secondary DNS is not possible.
>
> I'm not sure that follows:  In the regular model, the one "primary"
> server is where the hostnames are maintained, and all of the "secondary"
> servers automatically reflect the exact contents of what is at the
> primary site (using an update mechanism called "zone transfers").
>
> Thus, using Joker-hosted DNS should not preclude also having additional
> non-Joker nameservers reflecting the Joker-defined zone contents.

Their software precludes it, not DNS itself.  The Web-base DNS
administration tool is required in order to get the forwarding
features, and that tool does not allow one to set up nameservers other
than the ones they provide.

--
Help save the San Jose Earthquakes - http://www.soccersiliconvalley.com/