[conspire] No Sony DRM around here; I'm proud of you

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Dec 9 09:46:49 PST 2005

> OK, so maybe I should explain. Rick was bragging about how the fact that
> not only had nobody in his household nor any fellow customer of the same
> ISP been affected by Sony's spyware was evidenced by the IP address of
> that hostname not being in either nameserver cache, so I "corrected
> that oversight" by logging into his main server and resolving the
> hostname, thereby caching it in both.

Yes.  You garnered the evening's "dry humour" award.
In case people missed one particular fine point of my "dig" test:

$ dig connected.sonymusic.com @ns1.linuxmafia.com +norecurse
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^

I set the "norecurse" flag on my query specifically so that queried
nameserver ns1.linuxmafia.com would _not_ forward the request to
other nameservers, if it lacks that information.

And, Daniel, your wget fetch from linuxmafia.com's shell prompt actually
did _not_ put "connected.sonymusic.com" into ns1.linuxmafia.com's cache,
because apparently your request got routed to one of Raw Bandwidth's
nameservers, instead of to mine:

:r /etc/resolv.conf

  search linuxmafia.com deirdre.org
  nameserver 198.144.192.2
  nameserver 198.144.192.4
  nameserver 198.144.195.186

(The last of the three IPs is ns1.linuxmafia.com.  Your request went to
one of the other two.)

One easy way to _actually_ load my nameserver's cache is, well, with "dig":

  $ dig connected.sonymusic.com @ns1.linuxmafia.com +short
  64.14.39.158

_Now_, it's in cache.  ;->

  $ dig connected.sonymusic.com @ns1.linuxmafia.com +norecurse

  ; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> connected.sonymusic.com @ns1.linuxmafia.com +norecurse
  ; (1 server found)
  ;; global options:  printcmd
  ;; Got answer:
  ;; flags: qr ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

  ;; QUESTION SECTION:
  ;connected.sonymusic.com.       IN      A

  ;; ANSWER SECTION:
  connected.sonymusic.com. 3280   IN      A       64.14.39.158

  ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
  sonymusic.com.          3280    IN      NS      udns2.ultradns.net.
  sonymusic.com.          3280    IN      NS      udns1.ultradns.net.

  ;; Query time: 5 msec
  ;; SERVER: 198.144.195.186#53(198.144.195.186)
  ;; WHEN: Fri Dec  9 09:43:52 2005
  ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 109

  $