[conspire] No Sony DRM around here; I'm proud of you

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Dec 9 09:46:49 PST 2005

> OK, so maybe I should explain. Rick was bragging about how the fact that
> not only had nobody in his household nor any fellow customer of the same
> ISP been affected by Sony's spyware was evidenced by the IP address of
> that hostname not being in either nameserver cache, so I "corrected
> that oversight" by logging into his main server and resolving the
> hostname, thereby caching it in both.

Yes.  You garnered the evening's "dry humour" award.
In case people missed one particular fine point of my "dig" test:

$ dig connected.sonymusic.com @ns1.linuxmafia.com +norecurse

I set the "norecurse" flag on my query specifically so that queried
nameserver ns1.linuxmafia.com would _not_ forward the request to
other nameservers, if it lacks that information.

And, Daniel, your wget fetch from linuxmafia.com's shell prompt actually
did _not_ put "connected.sonymusic.com" into ns1.linuxmafia.com's cache,
because apparently your request got routed to one of Raw Bandwidth's
nameservers, instead of to mine:

:r /etc/resolv.conf

  search linuxmafia.com deirdre.org

(The last of the three IPs is ns1.linuxmafia.com.  Your request went to
one of the other two.)

One easy way to _actually_ load my nameserver's cache is, well, with "dig":

  $ dig connected.sonymusic.com @ns1.linuxmafia.com +short

_Now_, it's in cache.  ;->

  $ dig connected.sonymusic.com @ns1.linuxmafia.com +norecurse

  ; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> connected.sonymusic.com @ns1.linuxmafia.com +norecurse
  ; (1 server found)
  ;; global options:  printcmd
  ;; Got answer:
  ;; flags: qr ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0
  ;connected.sonymusic.com.       IN      A

  connected.sonymusic.com. 3280   IN      A

  sonymusic.com.          3280    IN      NS      udns2.ultradns.net.
  sonymusic.com.          3280    IN      NS      udns1.ultradns.net.

  ;; Query time: 5 msec
  ;; SERVER:
  ;; WHEN: Fri Dec  9 09:43:52 2005
  ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 109