[conspire] How automatically replace control (newline) character with space in file & directory names

Hereon hereon1 at fastmail.us
Sun Dec 4 14:45:24 PST 2005

Can someone tell me a way to accomplish this with a command, commands,
shell script, or other program?

I have some files & directories with names that contain the newline
character, \n , 0A hex.

[These get created sometimes as I copy & past text from web pages into
the filename as I save a webpage, from firefox, to disk.]

I wish to replace that newline with a space character, automatically,
without doing it by hand for each file.

I have figured out one way to locate the files:

In the home directory do:
ls -QR * | grep '\\n'

Then, individually, I can do a locate on part of the file name to get a
full path.

====
$ ls -QR | grep '\\n' > FilesWithNewline.txt

$ cat FilesWithNewline.txt

. . . [Many file or directory names listed, like the following lines:]

"An elevator to space NASA gives idea a lift\n12 teams vying for
$100,000 in prizes in Mountain View article.cgi.html"
"An elevator to space NASA gives idea a lift\n12 teams vying for
$100,000 in prizes in Mountain View article.cgi_files"
"./Engineering/Space/An elevator to space NASA gives idea a lift\n12
teams vying for $100,000 in prizes in Mountain View article.cgi_files":
"./Engineering/Space/An elevator to space NASA gives idea a lift\n12
teams vying for $100,000 in prizes in Mountain View
article.cgi_files/B1654090_data":

. . .

====

So, what's an easy way to search through the file tree & automatically
replace the '\n' with a space character?

Also, is there a better email list to ask this question?  Perhaps one
whose readers are very familiar with shell scripting?

Thanks.
--
  Hereon
  hereon1 at fastmail.us