[conspire] Free Opera Reg. Codes Today Only! Plus Usage Hints

Mark S Bilk mark at cosmicpenguin.com
Wed Aug 31 03:08:57 PDT 2005

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 06:02:32PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
>Quoting Mark S Bilk (mark at cosmicpenguin.com):
>
>> The mutt mailer needs a browser to render HTML segments, and it
>> needs to come up fast.  Firefox takes 5 seconds, but Opera takes
>> only 3!
>>
>> My .mailcap entry is:
>>
>>   text/html; opm %s; nametemplate=%s.html
>
>Less than 0.1 for this one!
>
>text/html; /usr/bin/w3m -T text/html '%s'; needsterminal; description=HTML Text; nametemplate=%s.html
>
>;->

Wow, what a hack!  It does tables and graphics, very fast.

But how does it put up graphics in an xterm (or kde konsole)?

It doesn't seem to be creating another window on top of the
xterm, because when I move the xterm around rapidly the w3m
display including graphics moves with it, with no lag.  And
there's no additional window showing in kde's window list.

It's a shame they came up with a UI different from that of both
netscape and lynx.  It's particularly silly to have the text
you're typing into a form line show up at the bottom of the
window instead of the form.

I'd rather wait 3 seconds for opera to come up from mutt than
learn w3m's UI.  Plus you get the text formatting with opera.