[conspire] Re: OT (somewhat) Linux perspective on "Zotob's" target

Eric De Mund ead-conspire at ixian.com
Thu Aug 18 23:04:28 PDT 2005

Rick, All,

] Quoting Eric De Mund <ead at ixian.com>:
] > Stripping services may be a way to achieve better performance from
] > and increased lifespans of Windows systems, and I plan to explore
] > that the next time I descend.
]
] You may want to look at some of the comments in that Slashdot thread
] you mentioned for gotchas, e.g.:
]
] http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=157321&cid=13189921
] http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=157321&cid=13190588
]
] Allegedly, following Russinovich's (or Black Viper's? Dunno.) recom-
] mendations makes that box almost entirely non-functional, e.g. "net-
] working is crippled".

Make no mistake; there's a huge difference between the Russinovich find-
ing and Black Viper's work. Russinovich's "no services needed" finding
is proof of concept and has limited practical application. On the other
hand, Black Viper's comprehensive service-stopping (what I previously
called "service-stripping") recommendations have been widely tested,
and, over the years, adopted by Microsoft themselves.

The Black Viper pointer came out of the Slashdot thread when someone
with a more practical bent wrote in re "For services you actually should
disable..." (Score:5, Informative). That high score caught my eye, and
it turned out to be a solid gem.

Cheers,
Eric
--
"Chess is a cramped game. It is like a knife fight in a phone booth."
--Wayne Folta

Eric De Mund
email: <ead at ixian.com>