[conspire] php and mm memory leak (off-topic?)

Laurence Miotto ldmiotto at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 8 15:38:04 PDT 2005

We've been having some issues with speed on our forum, and when we
tried to use mm, we got a memory link as described below. It's a bit
off-topic, but I really don't know where to ask. If you know the
solution, or know of a place where this would be more appropriate,
please tell me.

-Thanks
-Laurence Miotto

Info below:

From: LlamaGuy | Posted: 8/8/2005 04:02:36 PM | Message Detail
If you don't know much about computers... this topic probably won't
interest you much.

Basically... earlier today I installed the mm module on the LUElinks
server to handle PHP sessions with memory instead of files. The
installation went smooth, I recompiled PHP --with-mm and changed the
session handler to mm. After starting httpd back up, most of the
users could agree that LUElinks responded faster.

After about an hour, though... MySQL stopped responding. A look at
the server revealed that there was like no memory left to be used. So
I thought it might be a fluke... so I rebooted the server to see what
would happen. Another hour or so went by and the same symptoms came
back. It appeared as though mm was leaking memory somewhere. So I
rebooted the server once again, and recompiled PHP again without mm,
back the way it was.

Later today I'll research it more to see if I can figure out what was
going on... because mm definitly provided a performance increase.