[conspire] We don't support Mozilla

Heather Stern star at starshine.org
Fri Apr 29 13:55:58 PDT 2005

> > I often get back messages saying they only support
> > IE (and sometimes
> > Netscape).  I've never had a reply saying what
> > versions of IE or
> > Netscape.  Of course,
> >
> http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download.jsp
> >
> > says "Netscape 7.2 - built with Mozilla (tm)".
> >
> > I often reply that I don't use IE for security
> > reasons, and ask why
> > they are not concerned about security, too. ;)

Tell them you only use IE 3.0 for security reasons, and watch them blanch?

What was the last version of IE to ship on Solaris? :D

My response to such websites has usually taken a somewhet different tack.
I express the site as an analogy to a storefront, and then describe my
customer experience.  Anything that delays me learning about their product,
or getting my service, is like walking into a store - or a bank - that's a
war zone or a hardhat site.

American Airlines only sent me a form letter in reply when I did that, but
they *did* change their site.  Of course, they were busy touting improved
disabled services, and I noted that the disabled who access their website
could not reasonably traverse to the place that said so.  Therefore they'd
have no reason whatever to expect they'd be handled well at the terminal.
Maybe next time.

To be oblivious to it is one thing.  To be deliberate about it,
expresses that they really do not want my money - or my recommendations
to other customers.   If they respond in snotty fashion, I reply with
a willingness to enclose this thread of conversation in a letter to the
CEO, expressing why I cannot do business with them.

I don't have any qualms about using support material to back my case; I
just act like I should be treated - a businesswoman with limited time for
nonsense, but a desire to see service improved.

  . | .   Heather Stern                  |         star at starshine.org
--->*<--- Starshine Technical Services - * - consulting at starshine.org
  ' | `   Sysadmin Support and Training  |        (800) 938-4078 v.m.
                                                  (408) 374-7623 land
                                                  (408) 761-4912 cell