[conspire] SUSE Linux 9.3 Professional Edition "Commercial" packages

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Apr 28 01:32:37 PDT 2005

----- Forwarded message from Rick Moen <rick> -----

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 01:31:15 -0700
From: Rick Moen <rick>
To: ilug at linux.ie
Subject: Re: [ILUG] SUSE Linux 9.3 Professional Edition

Quoting Rory Browne (rory.browne at gmail.com):

> The jury is still out on whether or the copying of DVD's is legal, due
> to the presence of allegedly non-redistributable packages.

OK, after finding that a binary version of rpm2cpio worked on SUSE's
RPMs, I looked through _all_ of those packages whose licensing Novell
classified as "Commercial" -- except the three included only on DVD
(cop-track, novell-ifolder-client, wnn-sdk).  Someone else would have to
check those.

Short summary of the other 24 follows; after that, supporting details
from the packages themselves.

acroread:  Non-redistributable (except by signing over your copy).
agfa-fonts:  No licence statement.
avmailgate:  Non-redistributable.
avm_fcds:  Non-redistributable.
avmfritzcapi:  Non-redistributable.
bitstream-vera.html:  Redistributable.
flash-player:  No licence statement.
intel-536ep:  Open source.
ipw-firmware:  Redistributable.
iscan:  Non-redistributable.
km_fcdsl:  No licence statement for the binary-only portions of this driver.
km_fritzcapi:  Non-redistributable.
km_smartlink-softmodem:  No licence statement for the binary-only portions
    of this driver.
ltmodem:   No licence statement for the binary-only portions of this driver.
mainactor:   Non-redistributable (except by signing over your copy).
moneyplex:   Non-redistributable.
opera:  Non-redistributable (except by signing over your copy).
planmaker:  Redistributable.
realplayer:  Non-redistributable.
sesam_srv:  Non-redistributable.
smartlink-softmode:  Redistributable.
textmaker:  Redistributable.
ttf-founder-simplified:  Redistributable.
ttf-founder-traditional:  Redistributable.

Supporting details:

The line in quotation marks at the beginning of each item is the
licensing characterisation on Novell's package descriptions for SUSE 9.3
Pro.

Reminder:  Because works under copyright have their right of
redistribution reserved by default to the copyright owner, if you
receive no licensing terms for a work or part of a work, then you
technically have _no_ right of redistribution (regardless of whether
anyone's likely to ever sue you).  I've therefore included such works
in the "Non-redistributable" category, above.

"acroread.html:      Commercial, Other License(s), see package"
kenny:/tmp# /usr/bin/rpm2cpio acroread-7.0.0-4.i586.rpm | cpio -iduv
kenny:/tmp# less ./usr/share/doc/packages/acroread/LICREAD.TXT

  2. Software License. As long as you comply with the terms of this
  Software License Agreement (this "Agreement"), Adobe grants to you a
  non-exclusive license to Use the Software for the purposes described in
  the Documentation.

  2.1 General Use. You may install and Use a copy of the Software on your
  compatible computer, up to the Permitted Number of computers.

  4.4 Transfer. You may not, rent, lease, sublicense, assign or transfer
  your rights in the Software, or authorize all or any portion of the
  Software to be copied onto another user's computer except as may be
  expressly permitted herein. You may, however, transfer all your rights
  to Use the Software to another person or legal entity provided that: (a)
  you also transfer (i) this Agreement, and (ii) the Software and all
  other software or hardware bundled or pre-installed with the Software,
  including all copies, Updates and prior versions, to such person or
  entity; (b) you retain no copies, including backups and copies stored on
  a computer; and (c) the receiving party accepts the terms and conditions
  of this Agreement and any other terms and conditions upon which you
  legally purchased a license to the Software.

"agfa-fonts.html:      Other License(s), see package, Commercial"
/usr/bin/rpm2cpio agfa-fonts-2003.03.19-14.noarch.rpm | cpio -iduv
No licence statement whatsoever is included, only .ttf files.

"avmailgate.html:      Commercial"
/usr/bin/rpm2cpio avmailgate-2.0.2.14-6.i586.rpm | cpio -iduv
less ./usr/share/doc/packages/avmailgate/LICENSE

  The copyright to this software is owned by

  H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH
  Tjark Auerbach; Managing Director
  Lindauer Stra<DF>e 21
  88069 Tettnang
  www.antivir.de
  - hereinafter the "Licensor" -

  It is an offence to reproduce or distribute this Software or parts
  thereof without authorisation. Such actions can lead to criminal
  or civil proceedings resulting in severe penalties or damage
  claims.

"avm_fcds.html:      Commercial, Other License(s), see package"
/usr/bin/rpm2cpio avm_fcdsl-2.6-30.i586.rpm | cpio -iduv
less ./usr/share/doc/packages/avm_fcdsl/license.txt

  Copyright (C) 2002, AVM GmbH. All rights reserved.

  I. Copyright Notice
  This Software is object of a license agreement. You may only use
  the Software in accordance with the license conditions mentioned
  therein. As licensee you bear all risk in regard to hazards and
  impairments of quality which may arise in connection with the use
  of this Software.

  You may not transmit, reproduce or alter this Software in whole or in
  part, in any form, by any means, nor may you translate the Software into
  any other natural or computer language. The creation of a backup copy
  for personal use is excepted. The information hereby made available to
  you may be communicated to third parties only with the written
  permission of AVM GmbH.

"avmfritzcapi.html:      Commercial, Other License(s), see package"
/usr/bin/rpm2cpio avmfritzcapi-2.6-35.i586.rpm | cpio -iduv
less ./usr/share/doc/packages/avmfritzcapi/license.txt

  Copyright (C) 2002, AVM GmbH. All rights reserved.

  I. Copyright Notice
  This Software is object of a license agreement. You may only use
  the Software in accordance with the license conditions mentioned
  therein. As licensee you bear all risk in regard to hazards and
  impairments of quality which may arise in connection with the use
  of this Software.

  You may not transmit, reproduce or alter this Software in whole or in
  part, in any form, by any means, nor may you translate the Software into
  any other natural or computer language. The creation of a backup copy
  for personal use is excepted. The information hereby made available to
  you may be communicated to third parties only with the written
  permission of AVM GmbH.

"bitstream-vera.html:      Commercial, Other License(s), see package"
/usr/bin/rpm2cpio bitstream-vera-1.10-168.noarch.rpm | cpio -iduv
less ./usr/share/doc/packages/bitstream-vera/COPYRIGHT.TXT

  Bitstream Vera Fonts Copyright

  The fonts have a generous copyright, allowing derivative works (as
  long as "Bitstream" or "Vera" are not in the names), and full
  redistribution (so long as they are not *sold* by themselves). They
  can be be bundled, redistributed and sold with any software.

"flash-player.html:      Other License(s), see package, Commercial"
/usr/bin/rpm2cpio flash-player-7.0.25.0-3.i586.rpm | cpio -iduv
No licensing statement whatsoever is included.

"intel-536ep.html:      Other License(s), see package, Commercial"
/usr/bin/rpm2cpio Intel-536ep-4.69-10.i586.rpm | cpio -iduv
less ./usr/share/doc/packages/Intel-536ep/license.txt

  INTEL SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT

  IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE COPYING, INSTALLING OR USING.
  Do not use or load this software and any associated materials
  (collectively, the <93>Software<94>) until you have carefully read the
  following terms and conditi ons. By loading or using the Software, you
  agree to the terms of this Agreement.  If you do not wish to so agree,
  do not install or use the Software.

  Copyright (c) 1999-2004, Intel Corporation All rights reserved.

  modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

  1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
  notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
  2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
  documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
  3. Neither the name of Intel Corporation nor the names of its
  contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
  this software without specific prior written permission.

"ipw-firmware.html:      Commercial, Other License(s), see package"
/usr/bin/rpm2cpio ipw-firmware-5-3.noarch.rpm | cpio -iduv
less ./lib/firmware/LICENSE.ipw2x00

                              TERMS AND CONDITIONS
      IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ BEFORE INSTALLING OR USING THIS INTEL(C) SOFTWARE

  Do not use or load this firmware (the "Software") until you have
  carefully read the following terms and conditions. By loading or
  using the Software, you agree to the terms of this Agreement. If
  you do not wish to so agree, do not install or use the Software.

  LICENSEES:

  Please note:

  * If you are an End-User, only Exhibit A, the SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT,
    applies.
  * If you are an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), Independent
    Hardware Vendor (IHV), or Independent Software Vendor (ISV), this
    complete Agreement applies.

  EXHIBIT "A"

  SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT (Final, Single User)

  IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE COPYING, INSTALLING OR USING.

  Do not use or load this firmware image (the "Software") until you have
  carefully read the following terms and conditions. By loading or using the
  Software, you agree to the terms of this Agreement. If you do not wish
  to so agree, do not install or use the Software.

  LICENSE. You may copy and use the Software, subject to these conditions:
  1. This Software is licensed for use only in conjunction with Intel
  component products. Use of the Software in conjunction with non-Intel
  component products is not licensed hereunder.
  2. You may not copy, modify, rent, sell, distribute or transfer any part
  of the Software except as provided in this Agreement, and you agree to
  prevent unauthorized copying of the Software.

"iscan.html:      GPL, Commercial"
/usr/bin/rpm2cpio iscan-1.13.1.1-6.i586.rpm | cpio -iduv
There are GPLed, LGPLed, and binary-proprietary portions.
less ./usr/share/doc/packages/iscan/COPYING.KOWA

                      EPSON KOWA PUBLIC LICENCE
                              2002-10-25

  This Licence applies to any program or other work identified as such
  at the point of distribution and/or in a suitable location in the
  sources for a work including it, for example in a README file.  Such
  sources should include a verbatim copy of this Licence.

  The "Program", below, refers to any program or work covered by this
  Licence; each "Licensee" is addressed as "you".

  You may use, reproduce, modify and distribute the Program subject to
  the terms and conditions below.

    TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION

  1. Copyright of the Program is reserved by EPSON KOWA Corporation
     and its Licensor(s).

  2. You may freely reproduce and distribute verbatim copies of the
     Program in any medium, provided that recipients of such copies
     are given a copy of this Licence.  Verbatim copies are covered
     by the terms of this Licence.

  3. You may modify the Program and freely distribute your modified
     version(s), provided that you distribute it under the terms of
     this Licence.  Recipients of any modified version(s) should be
     provided with a copy of this Licence.

  4. You shall treat those parts of the Program that were provided
     to you in executable or object code only as the proprietary
     and confidential information of EPSON KOWA Corporation and its
     Licensor(s).

"km_fcdsl.html: Commercial, Other License(s), see package"
/usr/bin/rpm2cpio km_fcdsl-2.6-30.i586.rpm | cpio -iduv

This looks like a part-source, part-binary-libraries driver for a USB
DSL "modem" (bridge).  The source code portions are LGPL (Novell's claim
of GPL notwithstanding), while there's no licence statement whatsoever
for the binary libraries.

"km_fritzcapi.html: Commercial, Other License(s), see package"
/usr/bin/rpm2cpio km_fritzcapi-2.6-35.i586.rpm | cpio -iduv
This is source code for two USB DSL drivers:

less ./usr/src/kernel-modules/fritzcapi/e2220pc/license.txt

  I. Copyright Notice
  This Software is object of a license agreement. You may only use the
  Software in accordance with the license conditions mentioned therein.
  As licensee you bear all risk in regard to hazards and impairments of
  quality which may arise in connection with the use of this Software.

  You may not transmit, reproduce or alter this Software in whole or in
  part, in any form, by any means, nor may you translate the Software into
  any other natural or computer language. The creation of a backup copy
  for personal use is excepted. The information hereby made available to
  you may be communicated to third parties only with the written
  permission of AVM GmbH.

less ./usr/src/kernel-modules/fritzcapi/e5520pc/license.txt

  I. Copyright Notice
  This Software is object of a license agreement. You may only use the
  Software in accordance with the license conditions mentioned therein.
  As licensee you bear all risk in regard to hazards and impairments of
  quality which may arise in connection with the use of this Software.

  You may not transmit, reproduce or alter this Software in whole or in
  part, in any form, by any means, nor may you translate the Software into
  any other natural or computer language. The creation of a backup copy
  for personal use is excepted. The information hereby made available to
  you may be communicated to third parties only with the written
  permission of AVM GmbH.

"km_smartlink-softmodem.html: Commercial, Other License(s), see package"
/usr/bin/rpm2cpio km_smartlink-softmodem-2.9.10-8.i586.rpm | cpio -iduv

This is a part-binary, part-source driver for AMR PCI winmodems.  No
licence statement whatsoever is provided for the binary portion.

"ltmodem.html:      Other License(s), see package, Commercial"
/usr/bin/rpm2cpio ltmodem-8.31a10-7.i586.rpm | cpio -iduv
less ./usr/share/doc/packages/ltmodem/CHANGELOG

  Changes to 6.00 LTMODEM Lucent Modem Driver
  Author: Mark Spieth
  Date:   14/1/2001

  Disclaimer
  ----------
  GPL'ed except for the binary module which is of unknown status.

  No responsibility is undertaken for any of this. The user takes
  full responsibility and risk if this modified package is used

"mainactor-5.html:      Commercial"
/usr/bin/rpm2cpio MainActor-5-5.2.13-3.i586.rpm | cpio -iduv
strings opt/MainActor_V5/mactor | less

  THIS PACKAGE, CAREFULLY READ THEFOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS WHICH
  INCLUDE THESOFTWARE LICENSE AND LIMITED WARRANTY (collectively calledthe
  "Agreement")<br><br>INSTALLING THIS PACKAGE INDICATES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF
  THEAGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT OR AGREE WITH THESETERMS, YOU SHOULD
  PROMPTLY RETURN THE PACKAGEUNOPENED TOGETHER WITH ALL OTHER MATERIAL IN
  THISPROGRAM PACKAGE, OR IN THE CASE OF AN ELECTRONICDISTRIBUTION,
  DESTROY ALL COPIES OF THE PACKAGE AND ACTIVATION KEYS; AND YOUR MONEY
  "Software") is owned by MainConcept AGand is protected by copyright law
  and international treaty provisions.The Software is hereby licensed to
  you by MainConcept AG or a licensee of MainConcept AG (in either case
  the entity licensing the Software to you is referred to in this
  Agreement as "MainConcept AG").<br><br>MainConcept AG hereby grants you
  a non-exclusive license to use the Software as set forth below:<br><br>
  copy of the Software excluding the documentation for<br>  archival or
  backup purposes;<br>* permanently transfer your rights hereunder,
  provided you also transfer<br>  all copies of the Software and the
  documentation and provided the<br> transferee agrees to the terms and
  not:<br><br>* use, copy, modify, or transfer the Software or the
  documentation, or any<br>  copy in whole or in part, except as expressly
  provided for in this license;<br>* redistribute any activation keys for
  unlocking demo versions of the<br>  Software;<br>* allow the Software to
  be used on more than one computer at a time or<br>  by more than one
  person at a time except as otherwise expressly provided<br> herein;<br>*
  rent or lease the Software or the documentation. modify or adapt the<br>
  Software or documentation in whole or in part including but not
  limited<br>  to translating or creating derivative works;<br>*
  disassemble or reverse compile for the purpose of reverse engineering

"moneyplex.html:      Other License(s), see package, Commercial"
/usr/bin/rpm2cpio moneyplex-5.0-193.i586.rpm | cpio -iduv
less ./opt/moneyplex/lizenz.txt
(German-language text:  Let's feed it through Babelfish:)

  End-user license agreement

  The Software"moneyplex SuSE edition" is
  attached to the products SuSE Linux free of charge. The use of the
  software is free and may take place only in the context of the following
  Lizenzbedingungnen. Therefore you read please the following text
  completely and attentively. If you do not agree with the conditions as
  per contract, you may not use the software.

  1 use extent
  the use may take place only under SuSE Linux products. It is
  forbidden to you to amend the software to translate to back-develop,
  to dekompilieren or to disassemblieren or derived works provide. They
  will use of matrica offered registration possibility, in order to be
  able to be informed as authorized licensees registered and about updated
  versions of this software. The employment of the software in the context
  of Application service Providing is forbidden. WebBanking is a service
  of the T-Online AG. The use of WebBanking functionality in moneyplex can
  take place therefore only via customers of the T-Online AG. The use
  conditions of t-on-line-WebBanking are to be kept. Further information
  finds you on the InterNet sides of T-Online: http://www.t online.de.

  2 passing on of the software the letting of the software is expressly
  forbidden.

  3 ownership at rights
  the software and the associated documentations, which is present in
  written or electronic form, are in copyright matters protected matrica
  reserve themselves in particular all publication -, duplication -,
  rights of exploitation and working on at the software and the
  documentations. They commit themselves to undertake these rights to true
  and all steps in order abusive impairments or injuries of these rights
  through third, as far as these arrived by you and over you into the
  possession of the software, to prevent.

"opera.html:      Commercial"
/usr/bin/rpm2cpio opera-7.54-19.i586.rpm | cpio -iduv
less ./usr/share/doc/packages/opera/LICENSE

  Opera Browser Information: LICENSE.TXT
  Copyright (C) Opera Software 1995-2004

  IMPORTANT NOTE

  The Software, as defined below, is protected by copyright, which are
  vested in Opera Software ASA/its suppliers.

  TERMS OF AGREEMENT

  This is a legal agreement between you, the users, and Opera Software
  ASA. By installing or using this Software, you agree to be bound by
  the terms of this agreement. If you do not agree to those terms, you may
  not use or install the Software.

  You are entitled to use your copy of the Software on one computer. "Use"
  means loaded in temporary memory or permanent storage on the computer.
  Installation on a network server for distribution to other computers is
  not allowed, unless you have a separate license for each computer to
  which the Software is distributed.  You are obligated to have a
  reasonable process to assure that the number of persons using the
  Software concurrently does not exceed the number of licenses.

  The Software is protected by Norwegian and United States copyright
  laws and international treaties. You may make one copy of the Software
  solely for backup or archival purposes or transfer it to a single hard
  disk provided you keep the original disk solely for backup or archival
  purposes. You may not rent or lease the Software or copy any written
  materials accompanying the Software. You may transfer the Software and
  all accompanying materials to another individual on a permanent basis,
  if you retain no copies and the recipient agrees to the terms of this
  Agreement. Any transfer must include the most recent update and all
  prior versions.

"planmaker.html:      Commercial, Other License(s), see package"
/usr/bin/rpm2cpio planmaker-2005.2.11-3.i586.rpm | cpio -iduv
less ./opt/planmaker/license.txt

  ELECTRONIC END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT
  for TextMaker Free Edition and PlanMaker Free Edition

  THIS IS A CONTRACT BETWEEN

  SoftMaker Software GmbH
  Kronacher Strasse 7
  90427 Nuernberg
  Germany
  www.softmaker.de
  info at softmaker.de

  and

  YOU. BY INSTALLING AND USING THIS SOFTWARE YOU ACCEPT ALL THE TERMS AND
  CONDITIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT.

  This SoftMaker End User License Agreement accompanies the TextMaker
  Free Edition and PlanMaker Free Edition products and related explanatory
  materials ("Software"). The term "Software" also shall include any
  upgrades, modified versions or updates of the Software licensed to you
  by SoftMaker. Please read this Agreement carefully. By using this
  software you agree to abide by this License Agreement.  If you choose
  not to accept this license, you have no right whatsoever to use or
  distribute this Software under this Agreement and you have to stop using
  the Software immediately.

  Upon your acceptance of this Agreement, SoftMaker grants to you a
  nonexclusive license to use the Software, provided that you agree to
  the following:

  1. Use of the Software.

  - You may install the Software on a hard disk or other storage device;
  install and use the Software on a file server for use on a network for
  the purposes of (1) permanent installation onto hard disks or other
  storage devices or (2) use of the Software over such network; and make
  backup copies of the Software.

  - You may make and distribute an unlimited number of copies of the
  Software, including copies for commercial distribution, as long as
  each copy that you make and distribute contains this Agreement and the
  original unmodified .tgz or .rpm archives, and the same copyright and
  other proprietary notices pertaining to this Software that appear in the
  Software. You must include the SoftMaker copyright notice for the
  Software with any distribution and on any media you distribute that
  includes the Software.

"realplayer.html:      Commercial, Other License(s), see package"
/usr/bin/rpm2cpio RealPlayer-10.0.3-5.i586.rpm | cpio -iduv
less ./usr/lib/RealPlayer10/LICENSE

  Helix DNA Technology Binary Research Use License

  REDISTRIBUTION NOT PERMITTED

(I don't think we need quote anything beyond that.)

"sesam_srv.html:      Commercial"
/usr/bin/rpm2cpio sesam_srv-2.0.2-13.i586.rpm | cpio -iduv
less ./opt/sesam/skel/SEPsesam_licence_de.txt
(Again, feed it through Babelfish:)

  Software use conditions
  SEP AG
  Version 1.0 of 03.07.02

  Software use conditions
  SEP AG

  1. Bases
  The available software is protected by German copyright and
  international contracts. The copyright rights of exploitation at the
  software are with SEP AG (in the following SEP). With the opening of the
  sealed diskette packing or CD box or the that accept with the
  installation procedure explains the user its agreement with the coming
  off of a software use contract under the following clauses of a
  contract.

  2. Contents of the achievement

  2,1 use extent

  2.1.1 the user receives the non-exclusive right to use the
  software left by SEP together with documentation components
  themselves.

  2.1.2.1 all installations may be used only for own purposes
  of the user. Data bases may be put on only for own purposes. stands for

  2.1.3 the use authorization under the reservation of complete payment of
  the purchase price.

  2.1.4 the user acquired by conclusion of the contract the right to use
  at the software.  The concrete use possibility depends on whether the
  user acquired a job license or a server license.  The details result
  from the delivery note respectively the confirmation of order. With a
  job license the use extent permits to use the software accordingly its
  purpose on a computer. The software is then on a single computer in use,
  if it in the main memory (RAM) or in a permanent memory of this single
  computer - e.g. a non removable disk or a removable storage medium, as
  disk or CD Rome, on which the computer has access - was stored. A server
  license permits the contemporaneous access to the software of several
  computers.  The number possible permitted contemporaneous access depends
  on the delivery note. Details regulate also number 2.2.4.

  2.1.5 a large utilization, in particular a modification, duplication,
  Dekompilierung, passing on third or a RH engineering is not permitted
  on. It is forbidden to the user to dekompilieren from the software the
  source code programs or something similar.

  2,2 rights of reproduction and access protection

  2.2.1 the supplied software may only multiply the user, as far as the
  respective duplication is absolutely necessary for the use of the
  software. Among the absolutely necessary duplications rank the
  installation of the software of the original data carrier on the mass
  storage of the assigned hardware as well as shop of the software into
  the main memory.  beyond that the user can make a duplication for
  safeguard purposes.

  2.2.2
  If the regular safety device of the entire volume of data including the
  assigned computer programs is essential from reasons of data security or
  the sicherstellung of a fast reactivation of the computer system after a
  total failure, the user may manufacture backup copies in the
  compellingly necessary number. The data media concerned should
  accordingly to be marked. On each in such a way made copy of the
  software the following copyright note is to be clearly visibly attached:
  (C) 2000 to 2003 SEP AG The backup copies may be used only for purely
  archivarischen purposes. the user may not makefurther duplications

"smartlink-softmodem.html:      Commercial, Other License(s), see package"
/usr/bin/rpm2cpio smartlink-softmodem-2.9.10-8.i586.rpm | cpio -iduv
less ./usr/share/doc/packages/smartlink-softmodem/COPYING

  TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE FOR SMART LINK LINUX SOFTWARE DRIVERS

  By using the Linux software provided by Smart Link, YOU ARE CONSENTING
  TO BE BOUND BY AND ARE BECOMING A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO
  NOT AGREE TO ALL THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, PLEASE UNINSTALL THE
  SOFTWARE FROM YOUR SYSTEM. For ma nufacturers, these Terms and
  Conditions modify the existing Master Contract with Smart Link.

  1. PRODUCT: Smart Link's product herein, (the "Product"), included as
  part of this Linux driver package and as specified on Smart Link's
  website www.smlink.com, comprises Smart Link's Linux software drivers
  (the "Software") which are available for download by end-users and
  manufacturers ("Users")

  2. LICENSE: The scope of the license granted herein shall be limited
  to granting the User the right to download the Software from Smart
  Link's website, free of charge, for the sole purpose of upgrading the
  User's existing Smart Link chipset based modems ("Modems") in
  conjunction with the User's right to use, make, reproduce, distribute
  and sublicense the Software solely for distribution and support of the
  Modems and shall not include the right to otherwise sell or sub-license
  the Software.

"textmaker.html:      Commercial, Other License(s), see package"
/usr/bin/rpm2cpio textmaker-2005.2.11-3.i586.rpm | cpio -iduv
less ./opt/textmaker/license.txt
Same as for planmaker.

"ttf-founder-simplified.html:      Other License(s), see package, Commercial"
/usr/bin/rpm2cpio ttf-founder-simplified-0.20040419-6.noarch.rpm | cpio -iduv
 less ./usr/share/doc/packages/ttf-founder-simplified/COPYRIGHT-Founder-clarification.txt

                             Copyright Declaration

  Beijing Founder Electronics Co., Ltd. hereby
  grants to Novell Inc. the license to use Founder
  GB 18030-2000 Simplified Chinese FZSongTi, FZFangSong, FZHeiTi, FZKaiTi
  Truetype Font and BIG5 traditional Chinese FZMing,FZKai in his serial
  product(s)("Founder fonts")

  Any individual or organization is prohibited from conducting any
  one of the acts below without prior written license from Beijing
  Founder Electronics Co., Ltd.:

  1.Separating founder fonts from Novell serial product(s);
  2.Any change done to the format in founder fonts;
  3.Making use of founder fonts in any form in any non-commercial
    or commercial;
  4.Separating of this Copyright Declaration from founder fonts;
  5.Changing founder fonts or convert founder fonts into any other
  format;
  6.Developing any extension software based on founder fonts;
  7.Modification or remove of any declaration or logo,mark or sign
    in relation to any copyright or other proprietary notice of founder
    fonts.

 Mike FABIAN <mfabian at suse.de> 2004-9-10 21:23:11 >>>
Hi Lolley,

Juergen Weigert has a question concerning the license of the Founder
fonts.

Point 3 of the license below sounds like nobody is allowed to
do anything with the font. No commercial and no non-commercial
use means no use at all.

I guess that is just a mistake because whoever wrote that license
could not write English well. Probably the intention is that
only Novell is allowed to use the font and nobody else. Probably
the intention of Point 3 is only to forbid that other companies
of individuals outside of Novell make use of the font.

What is written in the Chinese version of the license?
Point 3 in Chinese says:

    3**************Novell***********

Can you please clarify what that means? Nobody here can read Chinese.

It contains the word Novell and * (probably means "except")
and ******** (probably means commercial or non-commercial)

I guess this means that nobody except Novell is allowed to
use the font for commercial or non-commercial reason.
Maybe you can ask Founder to update the English text of the license to
make the intention of Point 3 clear?

Thank you very much,

      Mike