[conspire] point and click linux

Edmund J. Biow ejb1 at isp.com
Thu Apr 28 00:12:39 PDT 2005

bruce coston wrote:

>i reviewed that book, an earlier mepis cd came with
>it, mepis is almost free, i like 3.3test01 only!

Mepis is entirely free if you don't want to pay $10 for the CD.  Here
are a list of mirrors:

/North American Mirrors/
ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/mepis/released/
ftp://ftp-linux.cc.gatech.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mepis
http://ftp.ussg.iu.edu/linux/mepis/
ftp://ftp.cise.ufl.edu/pub/mirrors/mepis/released/
http://ftp.wustl.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mepis
ftp://ftp.wustl.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mepis

/European Mirrors/
ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/mepis/
http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/mepis/
ftp://flo-jlg.no-ip.org <ftp://flo-jlg.no-ip.org/> (user:mepisfr
pwd:mepisfr)
ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributions/mepis/released/
http://www.debianworld.net/pub/mirror/mepis/released/

/Other Download Sources/
http://www.mrbass.org/linux/mepis

Here is the lastest version of Mepis (released yesterday):
ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/mepis/testing/SimplyMEPIS-3.3.1.test01.iso
I don't have a md5sum for it.

3.3.1.test01 isn't on the other mirrors, yet, but will be soon.

Here's the announcement:
http://www.mepis.org/node/6243

 "Because of our commitment to remain as Debian compatible as possible, we
will switch to X.org and KDE 3.4, when Debian releases those packages."

I'm fond of KDE 3.4, but I imagine you'd be able to get it with apt-get
as soon as Debian releases the packages.

>Test01 is not mozilla - centric like the book, a fact
>from my review on my bay lisa directors page but
>generally unviewable. simply M.E.P.I.S. is my
>recommendation whether you are new or just wanna save
>some time. installs on bios PNP=yes systems so many
>nix boxes won't take it.
>--- conspire-request at linuxmafia.com wrote:

I agree with you, Mepis is what I'd recommend, even over big commercial
distros like Linspire, Xandros, SUSE and Red Hat.   How can such a great
OS come from such a tiny organization in Morgantown, WV?