[conspire] We don't support Mozilla

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Sat Apr 23 08:23:25 PDT 2005

Lately I've been having a little fun by emailing sites that don't
work with Mozilla/Firefox asking why.  Interestingly, it's mostly
financial or banking sites that I end up emailing -- but that may be
because that's where it bugs me the most that Firefox isn't supported.

I often get back messages saying they only support IE (and sometimes
Netscape).  I've never had a reply saying what versions of IE or
Netscape.  Of course, http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/download.jsp
says "Netscape 7.2 - built with Mozilla (tm)".

I often reply that I don't use IE for security reasons, and ask why
they are not concerned about security, too. ;)

My goal is more to get management to ask their designers why they are
not designing for standards and not testing on other platforms.  And
to make them aware that their customers are not all using Windows.

Does anyone else do this?  Any suggestions on how to craft a reply
that might actually make it to someone that manages their design
process?  Think it would do any good to point out specific IE
security issues?

I also grip about fonts (as my eyes get worse with age....).  Anyone
else think that the fonts are hard to read at:

   http://www.bankofamerica.com/index.cfm

moseley at laptop:~$ GET http://www.bankamerica.com/global/hs_home/stylesheets/home_mac_ns6.css | grep font-size
        font-size: 65%;
        font-size: 65%;