[conspire] What's wrong with "FLOSS" (was: Penguin Day - Demysitify FLOSS for Nonprofits)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Apr 22 21:47:31 PDT 2005

Quoting Christian Einfeldt (einfeldt at earthlink.net):

> So let me just ask this question out of total ignorance, then, as I
> have not been paying all that much attention to the customs on this
> list.

Developing a custom here would probably be like unto herding cats.  ;->

> Do most people write open source or OS or OSS, or what term
> do most people use.

I see the first and third of those, a lot.

> Same question for GNU/Linux or Linux.  What term do most people on
> this list use?

When I remember to say "GNU/Linux" (for the complete system as opposed
to just the kernel), I often do, but more often I don't.  Which is an
example of why it's going to have little success even among friends of
FSF.

> Also, is this list archived?  Is it possible to browse the archives
> somewhere?

Sure.  Notice the URL in the footer on the bottom of each post?  As with
Mailman lists generally, that's a listinfo page that links directly to
the archive -- which is completely public, by the way.  And thus
Google-searchable.  Posterity is listening.  ;->

> Discussions on this list will also shape the final product.

Egad!  (Pardon me while I flee the responsibility.)

> Heh.  That's for sure.  Although I was anticipating that this list
> was primarily just high level hackers who were familiar with the
> term.

Speaking for myself, I'm strictly a duffer in the coding department.

> Oh, one other question while I'm at it.  Do we have an idea how many
> people are subscribed to this list?

Sure.  Consult the membership roster, which is linked from the listinfo
page.

> That depends on who you mean by "we".  If this list is mostly
> English speaking "open source" types as opposed to English speaking
> FSFers or Spanish speaking penguinistas, then you are correct.

Again, speaking strictly for myself, I speak entirely too much English,
a lot of French, a little Hebrew and Arabic, and a smattering of a
half-dozen other things.  And semi-fluent Python[1].  Hardly any
Norwegian, though.  :(

[1] Or is that "Parseltongue"?