[conspire] brilliant Peruvian document (was: brilliant Brazilian document?)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Apr 22 13:51:18 PDT 2005

Quoting Eric De Mund (ead-conspire at ixian.com):

> Bingo. Thank you a million. So much for it being 1. Brazilian (it's
> Peruvian), 2. short (it's moderately long), and 3. relatively recent
> (it's from 2002). No matter; it's still brilliant in how cleanly it pops
> every single FUD balloon Microsoft attempts to float against free soft-
> ware.

The Open Data Format Initiative nicely summed up the history of the
surrounding legislative donnybrook, here:
http://odfi.org/archives/000004.html

(It concerned a bill introduced to "Employ exclusively free software in
all the systems and computing equipment of every State agency.")

I rather like the implied threat of litigation that Microsoft tried as
its first-level response, followed by the bribery of the Peruvian
government^W^W^W^W^W^Wa generous and sudden gift to Peru of $500,000 in
Microsoft software and services, and two lobbying letters by US
diplomats and the General Manager of the American Chamber of Commerce of
Peru -- all of which sounded suspiciously like they were drafted in Redmond.