[conspire] (forw) install-a-thon

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Apr 14 12:28:45 PDT 2005

----- Forwarded message from Keith Brentson <virtualkeith at yahoo.com> -----

Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 17:51:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: Keith Brentson <virtualkeith at yahoo.com>
To: installers at linuxmafia.com
Subject: install-a-thon

Hello,

My name is Keith,  and I would like to dual boot
Linux/Windows on a Dell Inspiron 8600. (maybe Linux
only someday depending on how things work out!)  :)
I am reading the information and FAQ's on the CABAL
site, and would like to attend one of your meetings
for help with my install.  (I've tried to install
Fedora Core 3, which seemed to be going nicely, until
the first boot where the system freezes everytime it
attempts to load the network)My NIC is a Broadcom
4401.
It is my goal to have the system work with my
peripherals, (treo 650, sandisk 8 in one card reader,
sandisk mini cruzer, Plextor PX-712UF external DVD
writer, Dell Advanced port replicator, Logitech elite
keyboard, and Microsoft intellipoint explorer 3.0  I
also have an HP officejet 7410 which I promise I won't
bring  :)  )   I would like the machine to be able to
work on and off the port replicator, as well as
wirelessly.  I have an Intel 2200 BG wireless mini pci
card.  My video is an ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 pro
turbo with 128 of VRAM.
I will continue to research for drivers for these
devices, and was wondering how many of them I should
bring with me.  I also have a Nikon coolpix 5200 which
uses an SD card.
I've tried Fedora core 1 and Mandrake on different
computers,  and I preferred Fedora out of the 2.
Otherwise I have no linux experience at all.  (I can't
even install apps yet!)
I leaned towards Fedora with my limited experience,
but would like to discuss some of the other distros to
see which one would best meet my needs.
I have Fedora Core 3 on DVD, which I tested after
burning the ISO, and the test passed.  I partitioned
the Hard drive with Knoppix, and have Grub as the boot
loader which seems to be working nicely. (except that
Fedora won't boot!)
I'd be interested to know if I can supply you with any
more info if it would help with prep work beforehand.
(I don't want to use too much of your time   :)
Thanks for reading.  (hope I wasn't too long winded)

Regards,

Keith