[conspire] We get mail....

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Sep 30 23:57:10 PDT 2004

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 23:56:29 -0700
To: Dev Rana <drana at math.utexas.edu>
Cc: installers at linuxmafia.com
Subject: Re: New and looking to get started.
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>

Quoting Dev Rana (drana at math.utexas.edu):

> Hi.  I have inherited a pile of old machines, and I would like to get
> started with linux on one or two of them.  I'm up here in Berkeley and
> I've never done this before.  Can you guys offer help?

Sure, bring 'em on down.

CABAL has meetings every 2nd and 4th Saturday (4pm to midnight), at
which it's extremely common to bring machines do Linux work on.
http://linuxmafia.com/cabal/ has details.  That's at my wife's and my
house in Menlo Park.

SVLUG also has installfests every 3rd Saturday in north San Jose.
See http://www.svlug.org/ for details.

o  Reasonable machine for a 2004 Linux desktop box, full-blown:
   Any PII, 256MB RAM, 20 GB HD

o  Minimal reasonable machine for a 2004 Linux desktop box:
   Any PII, 128 MB RAM, 4.3 GB HD

o  Minimal machine for a 2004 Linux desktop box:
   PentiumPro, 64MB RAM, 800 MB HD

o  Minimal machine for a 2004 Linux server box:
   486, 32MB RAM, 500 MB HD

----- End forwarded message -----