[conspire] Ubuntu

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Oct 12 16:29:18 PDT 2004

Bill Stoye <skiffworks at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I've been using Ubuntu <http://www.ubuntulinux.org/> for almost three
> weeks and like it a lot; it's a pre-release but works well and if anyone
> is looking to keep things simple, this is it.

And more and more people are agreeing.  Even though I may grouse about
software religion and how dumb it is to (e.g.) omit K3B, these guys are
doing something worthwhile.  My friend Martin Pool explained the basics,
the other day, on the linux-elitists mailing list:

   GNOME (and Ubuntu) allow Linux users who might otherwise switch to Mac
   OS to stay on Linux.  Opinions may vary on whether that's a good
   thing.  The general direction seems similar, though GNOME allows more