[conspire] Re: Fonts on Linux

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Oct 10 14:27:38 PDT 2004

Quoting Ross Bernheim (rossbernheim at speakeasy.net):

> That explains much. I totally agree with you about fonts in general.
> My favorite is Adobe's Garamond. I have it on my Mac at home, and am
> contemplating buying it for my Linux boxes and Mac at work.

I like Garamond so much that, many years ago, I bought Adobe Garamond in
a splendidly beautify box with print samples, etc.  -- something like
$100 circa 1988.  Recently, I've been trying to re-find the diskette:  I
think I have the main files as part of a directory of hundreds of
PostScript Type1 fonts, but am not sure, and would be happier if I could
find the original disk -- which currently is missing.

My point is that, with something like the Bitstream Vera collection or
my perverse favourite (FSF's Lucida), I can have a completely perfect
replacement copy by just re-downloading it, and don't have to be in the
archival data storage business all the time just to protect my investment.

Anyhow, I meant to also point out an additional most-have freely
redistributable font set, in addition to the Microsoft TrueType Core
Fonts and Bitstream Vera.  The page on sub-pixel positioning I mentioned
earlier (http://jmason.org/howto/subpixel.html) includes:

    Bigelow and Holmes have donated a range of fonts called Luxi
    (included in XFree86 4.2.0),

So, modern Linux systems probably have those automatically, but it's
worth checking.