[conspire] Re: conspire Digest, Vol 17, Issue 10

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Oct 8 22:05:13 PDT 2004

Quoting Ross Bernheim (rossbernheim at speakeasy.net):

> I picked up a couple of Dell Optiplex Pentium II 266MHz machines today
> for use as file servers at work. Perfect for a 'demo' install of Ubuntu
> and setting up as a file server using Samba and a firewall.

I've also just finished downloading the "pre-rc2" i386 netinst image of
Debian 3.1 sarge, the one with the new installer, 2.6 kernel, etc.

I value the flexibility of the more-orthodox varieties of Debian
installer -- as opposed to, say, Ubuntu Linux or Knoppix.  There's
nothing in the latter that you cannot get from one of the
general-purpose images, and you don't get your arm twisted towards
using, say, GNOME 2.8.

I know you say you like the latter -- and more power to you -- but I
very much don't (speaking on the basis of earlier GNOME stuff).  That's
not to say I don't mine GNOME apps (and KDE ones) for individual apps
worth keeping, but there's long been a debilitating sickness infecting
GNOME as a whole, and its name is Human Interface Guidelines disease.

For more on that, see
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/lexicon.html#moenslaw-debate1 , and follow
the hyperlink "personality dispute".  Much will be made clear.