[conspire] Re: conspire Digest, Vol 18, Issue 7

Ross Bernheim rossbernheim at speakeasy.net
Sat Nov 6 17:50:05 PST 2004

On Saturday, November 6, 2004, at 12:11 PM,
conspire-request at linuxmafia.com wrote:

> So it saw them as 160GB?

Yes.

>> FIrst problem was that the BIOS had trouble booting from the CD ROM
>> drive as the slave on IDE channel 2. Swapping the CD ROM drive to
>> master and the 160GB drive on IDE channel 2 took care of that problem.
>
> If you want to RAID two hard disks, you will want the hard disks on
> separate IDE channels, preferably both set to Master. CD ROM will
> nearly
> always boot as slave if it's on the Primary IDE channel.

I got around that problem after consultation with Rick and made the CD
ROM
drive the master on the second IDE channel and the 160GB drive as
slave. Rick
said that there would be no decrease in performance since I would not
be using
the CD ROM after the first basic install of Debian.

>> Now it is how to partition and get RAID 1 going.
>>
>> Ross
>
> You want a Linux-managed software-based RAID, right? If memory serves,
> RAID 1 means striping. I'm not sure that it is possible to boot from a
> striped partition.

RAID 0 is striping, RAID 1 is mirroring.

Ross