[conspire] Re: conspire Digest, Vol 13, Issue 10

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jun 23 12:39:49 PDT 2004

Quoting bruce coston (jane_ikari at yahoo.com):

> i'll try 2bring my stuff, maybe not monitor, since i
> want 2 get arch working via dhcp, not so happy w ~2
> things in mandrake.

If it'll help, I finally got the ISOs of Mandrakelinux 10.0 Official
Edition.  (As a reminder, Official Edition always comes out a few weeks
after Community Edition does for the same release, and merges in
sundry bug-fixes.)

Also new at Chez Moen:

o  Xandros Desktop OS Open Circulation Edition 2.0.1 for i386 (1 disk)

   This is the first redistributable release of Xandros, and omits
   just a few of the proprietary add-ons that are Xandros's main
   attraction.  (This is the Canadian distribution that was formerly
   called Corel Linux OS.)  May be redistributed non-commercially.

o  SUSE Linux Personal Edition 9.1 for i386 (1 disk)

   Using this plus Internet access for access to extra packages, you
   can now install SUSE just from redistributable ISOs, again.  May
   be redistributed non-commercially.  Yes, SUSE Linux AG's new owner
   Novell Corporation has indeed announced that it's GPLing the YaST
   utilities, but that version will be out only later this summer.

   This is (obviously) not the full contents of the SUSE Linux Personal
   Edition 9.1 boxed set -- which occupies several CDs -- let alone of
   SUSE Linux Professional Edition 9.1.  If you want those (which
   include numerous packages that may not be publicly redistributed),
   you'll have to buy a copy, e.g., at the Santa Clara Microcenter, or
   perhaps at Fry's.

   For more about SUSE Linux editions, see "SUSE Product Strategy" on
   http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Licensing_and_Law/ .

o  Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0 AS for i386 (4 disks)

   Yes, this is the boxed set that Red Hat markets to corporate
   business and bundles with service contracts.  As far as I can
   tell, there's nothing in it that may not lawfully be redistributed
   non-commercially, so I will be letting people install or
   duplicate this disk set.  (See:  "RHEL ISOs" on
   http://linuxmafia.com/kb/RedHat/ .)  Note to people finding this
   mailing list post via Google:  No, I am _not_ posting ISOs or
   making the offer anywhere but at CABAL meetings at my house, so
   don't ask me to do you favours beyond the foregoing offer.

   I should stress that I _do_ take legal restrictions quite seriously,
   and believe to a high degree of confidence that I'm infringing no
   restrictions through this mode of distribution -- based on careful
   study of the product's contractual, copyright, and trademark status.
   The referenced Web page (above) has a detailed write-up.

   (If someone can cite compelling reason to think I'm wrong, please
   do so:  CABAL doesn't participate in bootlegging of proprietary
   software.)

   Frankly, given that you wouldn't have either the support entitlement
   or access to Red Hat Network updates -- the things that make the
   product attractive to corporate customers -- I think y'all would be better
   off with Fedora Core 2 or one of the RHEL rebuild projects.  (See:
   "RHEL Forks" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/RedHat/ .)

   Reminder:  I do have the full 4-CD set of Fedora Core 2 for i386.

o  Debian "sarge" (current "testing" branch) Test Candidate 1 netinst for i386

   This is the release-candidate (post-beta4) version of the next-generation
   Debian installer for what will be the new stable branch.  Installation
   kernel options include 2.4.x and 2.6.x kernels.  There is much more
   automatic hardware recognition than in the traditional Debian
   installer.   This is a 110MB "netinst" image, meaning it installs the
   Debian Base, and it's expected that you'll get any other packages
   you need from the Internet or other media.

   Interestingly, there are instructions to load this installer into,
   and boot/operate it from, a 128MB-or-greater USB flash drive,
   among other media.

> Failed to get dad on board w mandrake since permissions stopped him
> from using ooo on a file that constantly crashed w98.

Judging by that description, I'd say it's eminently possible that the
underlying problem is actually file corruption.  (You didn't specify,
but I'd guess you're talking about an MS-Word or MS-Excel document.)
This is recurring problem with Word/Excel, mostly because frankly the
document formats are technical design horrors.

--
Cheers,        "Linux means never having to delete your love mail."
Rick Moen                                              -- Don Marti
rick at linuxmafia.com