[conspire] Fedora Boot Disk

Greg Dougherty gregd at molecularsoftware.com
Fri Jun 11 16:31:23 PDT 2004

On 6/11/04, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> writes:

> Quoting Greg Dougherty (gregd at molecularsoftware.com):
> I have a full set of CD images for Fedora Core 2 for i386.  Tell me
> which one you need (I'm rusty on Fedora matters), and I'll burn it for
> you.

Thanks.  I'll go to the Fedora site and figure that out.  I have an Althlon, if
that's what you need to know.

> But that's not actually what you need.  Slow down.
> You have something wrong with your ability to boot, but you don't yet
> know what's wrong.  You know only that the hard disk still IDs itself to
> the BIOS.
> What the message "Non-System disk or disk error" means depends on what
> issued it.  Can you tell?  That's vital information.  It could be a BIOS
> message indicating that the first drive in the BIOS-listed boot order
> that's in a "ready" state was the subject of a boot attempt, but lacked
> a valid boot sector, so that booting halted at that point.
> Make sure you don't have a floppy, CD, or other removable disk in any
> of your drives.  You'd feel a little sheepish if the sole cause of this
> "hard drive problem" is that you left a data floppy in the "A:" drive,
> and "A:" is first in the BIOS boot order, right?

Yes, as a matter of fact, I DO feel rather sheepish that it was the floppy disk
sitting in my floppy drive that was screwing me up (I'd already pulled the CD).

Greg Dougherty
Code Janitor
Molecular Software, Inc.
gregd at molecularsoftware.com