[conspire] Re: (forw) Re: installation help needed (for July 10)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Jul 14 15:56:17 PDT 2004

Quoting myself to an unidentified CABAL attendee:

> > i am baffled: the hardware is there accdg. to the
> > "lspci" command, but the Redhat 9.0 installer is not
> > picking it up. the previous owner had a wireless card
> > which he removed and replaced with the 3com card.
>
> One thing to try:  Move the cards around to different PCI sockets until
> the installer picks them up.  It shouldn't work, but it often does.

Just to let the other shoe drop:  The cause turned out to be that the
3Com card wasn't seated properly in its PCI socket.  This sort of
problem is always a possibility in PC hardware, where sometimes proper
fit and finish (of motherboards and cases) can be lacking.   Also, any
time you move PCs around or (worse!) ship them, you should ideally take
the time to make sure all expansion cards are still properly seated,
since they do tend to vibrate loose on many systems.

Kudos to Daniel and Bruce for spotting that problem!

If memory serves, the fellow in question had indeed gotten down to
Central Computer and picked up a new hard drive, and it worked fine.

--
Cheers,             "I used to be on the border of insanity.  However, due
Rick Moen           to pressing political concerns, I recently had to invade."