[conspire] scrolling question

Adrien Lamothe a_lamothe at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 6 21:31:18 PST 2004

Hi Patrick,

Two possibilities come to mind:

The first method works if the text you want to go to
contains an anchor frame, in the form:

<a name="gotohere">The text you want to jump to.</a>

You can then refer to this point in the external web
site using the form:

<a
href="http://www.externalwebpage.com/pageyouwant/#gotohere"
TARGET="_blank">Object you want to link to external
page.</a>

In this example, the TARGET="_blank" causes a new page
to open, retaining the referencing page.

This method only works if the external web page
contains the anchor tag, and that tag is located where
you want the user to go.

The second method would be to use Perl's LWP package,
to programmatically examine the external page, then
use a regular expression to locate the text you want
the user to see. I think that LWP is powerful enough
to let you then jump to the page at that point. I
haven't done this, but recall that Perl LWP can do
these types of things. You should verify this with a
Perl LWP expert (a good place to ask the question is a
Perl Monger mailing list, the one I use is
"http://mail.pm.org/mailman/listinfo/oakland".) There
is a Python package named "mechanize" that may also do
this, you can find it at
"http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/mechanize/".

Good luck,

-Adrien

--- Patrick Killelea <p at patrick.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'd like to link to a page in a different DNS
> domain, and then scroll
> down the user's browser automatically to show
> certain text.
>
> Seems you cannot do that with Javascript unless it
> is signed, which is a
> major pain and varies with different browsers.
> Anyone else know a way to
> show specific text on someone else's web page?
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> Patrick

=====
Adrien Lamothe