[conspire] (forw) Re: help?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Aug 25 02:24:12 PDT 2004

----- Forwarded message from "Grant E. Metcalf" <thegems at shellworld.net> -----

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:05:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Grant E. Metcalf" <thegems at shellworld.net>
To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: help?

rick,  I will have to give some thought to traveling down your way since I
usually spend that evening preparing for my adult Sunday school class
which I teach.

The Sportster modem is internal and from what you say about it and the PCI
option, maybe the better choice would be an external modem.  I am using
the modem currently with Commo 7.7 on a shell dialup running MS-DOS 7x
under Windows 98 2nd ed.  Actually, I boot in DOS, or, can arrow to Linux
in a dual boot menu.
I would like to keep my current dialup shell working until I have proven
to myself that a Linux e-mail program is more satisfactory, and, until I
am comfortable with that environment.  It sounds as though if we were to
start moving jumpers around I would loose my use of Commo in DOS.  Now
then, Grampa DOS, as my Windows instructor calls me, is a bit slow to
move. ;_)
I presume there is a satisfactory external modem which will connect to
either a USB or serial port which can be purchased at Frye's or the like?
My system consists pf:
P3, 686 according to Linux; a linux, and Windows 98 SE partition;
approximately 20gb total disk;  a dvd & cdrw(external), A drive; SBlive
sound card; and of course 'that' modem.  There are 2 serial ports and 2
USB with an expansion box on one USB.  My speech synth takes  1 serial and
I could free up the other which isn't being utilized at the moment.

Again, my thought is to purchase an external modem for the Linux system
and figure that will be the best solution to my problem and still maintain
my current dialup setup.

Thanks for your helpful reply and I will definitely consider the other
suggestions you have made.

Cordially yours,

Grant
Listening for His shout! - First Thessalonians 4:16

Visit the Home Page of Bartimaeus Alliance of the Blind, Incorporated at
http://thegems.shellworld.net

----- End forwarded message -----