[conspire] For tomorrow's CABAL meeting

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Apr 23 18:02:07 PDT 2004

Quoting Bill Lazar (bill at billsaysthis.com):

> Just curious, but why are these distros of interest to you and what do you
> mean by try out at the meeting?

Good question!

1.  Several distributions have been claiming to be unprecedentedly easy
for new users, and to be cutting edge at the same time.  I'd like to see
that for myself -- especially given that many of the recent ones run
entirely from CD by default (a la Knoppix).

2.  One of the things CABAL has always been known for is having
installable copies of popular Linux distributions on hand (and the means
to make copies for people).  So, I try to guess in advance what people
will be interested in, and have it around.

3.  I'm especially interested in distributions with advanced
installation kernels, especially 2.6 ones -- mostly on account of
support for very new hardware, such as Serial ATA.

If someone were to show up on Saturday and ask for help with Mandrake
10.0 (without bringing a copy), we'd be up a creek without a paddle,
because of the very long download times.  And I _do_ expect some
significant interest in that.