[conspire] Using Linux in non-profits

Art McGee amcgee at virtualidentity.org
Thu Mar 6 16:38:55 PST 2003

> A friend of mine is hosting a dinner this Saturday for
> folks who provide technical support for non-profits. One
> of the things he'll be talking about is how adapting Linux
> could reduce their costs and let them make better use of
> the old hardware that they're saddled with.

I assume your friend is familiar with and has told you
about the international movement of non-profit technology
consultants and techies known as Circuit Riders? We're
having our national gathering this weekend at the Oakland
Marriott, right around the corner from the computer show.

See the following for more information:

http://www.nten.org

http://npogroups.org/lists/info/riders

> I'm wondering if any of you have suggestions on what
> benefits Linux will provide, or how to minimize the cost
> of adaption.

You should also be aware that during the Circuit Riders
conference, an organization known as the Non-Profit Open
Source Initiative will be conducting workshops and doing
demonstrations via an Open Source Cyber Cafe. Many of the
techies and system administrators involved in working with
non-profits are strong advocates of Free and Open Source
software, so the issues are not new.

For more information, check out the following:

http://www.nosi.net

http://www.linuxfund.org

http://www.ltsp.org

Art McGee