[conspire] Burn DVDs...

Heather Stern star at starshine.org
Wed Jan 8 13:11:06 PST 2003

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 04:58:40PM -0800, Jose Sanchez wrote:
> Hello. I am purchasing a DVD recorder (Sony DRU-500a)
> this week. I wanted to know if there is any software
> for linux regarding DVD burning. I will be adding this
> device on a pc running Red Hat 8.0 Linux. I want to
> backup some files on DVDs because of the capacity it
> holds (4.7 Gigs). TIA.
>
> -Jose

There is some, but how reliable it is, is a very good question.
General commentary on the web seems to be equally divided between

"oh sure, it's easy! just use a tweaked version of mkisofs to make HUGE
iso9660 filesystems, then the program (either Joerg Shily's prodvd,
the gnu project fork dvdrecord) and it works great"

	such people do not generally state if they were using DVD-R
	or DVD+R.   They weren't using DVD-RAM - that does "just work"
	since it looks like a hard disk.

...and "arrrrgh!   I can't get this thing to work at all!"

No experiment yet with the commercial ProGear package, but that's
terribly expensive, since it's basically a movie-making kit.

I recommend getting model numbers and typing them into search engines
with the keyword linux before plunking cash down on anything.

  . | .   Heather Stern                  |         star at starshine.org
--->*<--- Starshine Technical Services - * - consulting at starshine.org
  ' | `   Sysadmin Support and Training  |        (800) 938-4078