[conspire] Re: pcmcia 16 bit modems

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sun Jan 5 20:32:41 PST 2003

begin Rick Moen quotation of Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 03:12:04PM -0800:

> The other lesson I learned is that spare dongles are cheap and
> ubiquitous for some cards but not others.  Ask politely about this at
> the Action Computer front desk, and you'll see.

There are at least two common types of 3Com dongles that are
mechanically interchangeable but electrically different -- one
works on the *589* 10Mbps-only cards, and the other works on the
*575* 10/100 cards.  If you have the 10/100 card, you need the
2-LED dongle, and you need the 1-LED dongle for the 10-only card.

I have seen used cards for sale at swap meets with the wrong dongles.

--
Don Marti                  Even if we don't get DMCA reform, loudly
http://zgp.org/~dmarti     demanding DMCA reform is going to get the