[conspire] my old acer laptop

Heather Stern star at starshine.org
Sun Jan 5 16:44:34 PST 2003

On Sun, Jan 05, 2003 at 01:53:20PM -0800, Dan wrote:
> Conspirators,
>
> while cleaning out my closet,
> I found an old acer laptop running windows 95.
>
> It only has a floppy drive.
>
> Where might I find a "tiny" linux distribution
> which would fit on 1,2,3 or 4 floppies?

Well, at only 2 or 3 a debian setup can get onto the net
(e.g. via pcmcia network) - if you don't mind a slightly
large stack it can install Base completely from floppy.

'Course I usually brazenly take the drive out, mount it
elsewhere, fill 'er up.   DOesn't mean you might not still
be looking for a tight fit - 328 MB, 512 MB anyone ? :)

But a decent little debian will fit in around 150, GUI
not that much more if you avoid the "desktop environment"
lure.

> My plan is to make this my "meeting laptop" which
> I'd use to take notes.
>
> It does not need to run X, just vi.
>
> -Dan

Heh, no problem!  p.s. Debian base comes with this abomination
called ae.  Run away at full speed.  Install midnight commander
and use mcedit, plus get a nice ftp client and tarball viewer all
in one...

  . | .   Heather Stern                  |         star at starshine.org
--->*<--- Starshine Technical Services - * - consulting at starshine.org
  ' | `   Sysadmin Support and Training  |        (800) 938-4078