[conspire] linuxworld not running linux?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Apr 18 02:10:34 PDT 2003

Quoting Jose Sanchez (jose_sanchez79 at yahoo.com):

> Hello all. Just a FYI. I got an email from linuxworldexpo.com telling
> me I can register for LinuxWorld. So I was thinking to my self
> "Humm... I wonder what distro linuxworldexpo.com is running on?".
> Well I went to netcraft.com and did a search on
> www.linuxworldexpo.com, and shocking but true linuxworldexpo.com is
> running on MS IIS 5.0

International Data Group (IDG) of Framingham, MA -- owner of the
franchise -- is a pretty generic publications and conventions outfit,
and those of us who organised the LINC expo (which eventually sort-of
merged into the _first_ LinuxWorld Conference and Expo, the only reason
it didn't suck) learned close-up that they basically have no clue.

All you have to do is look at the featured speakers they've had for
every LWCE _since_ the very first one (which was different because it
ran LINC's speaker and panel lineup), and you'll see what I mean:  You
look down the list, and immediately think "What could this generic
corporate flunkie _possibly_ have to say that's of interest concerning
Linux?"

And, indeed, they _didn't_ have anything relevant to say.  But IDG
buttonholed them for the task because that's all they know.  Basically,
they don't know squat about computing:  They're just (mostly) in the
business of selling fashionable IT advice to business people -- and
really don't give a damn about what's in it.

--
Cheers,     "There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a
Rick Moen   little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider