[conspire] Resizing NTFS

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Oct 19 19:58:45 PDT 2002

Quoting Heather Stern (star at starshine.org):

> I think it's worth noting, Rick, that not a single one of these is
> guaranteed not to break you ...

Quite.  I'm frankly astonished that people are willing to use
"non-destructive" repartitioners at all, let alone when they don't have
tested, good backups and the ability to reinstall their OSes and all
applications.  On the flip side, if people _do_ have those abilities,
then I could argue that they'd be better off using them:  That is, back
up everything, blow away the filesystem(s), reinstall the OS on
different-sized filesystems, and put everything back.

For that reason, I recommend specifically _against_ the entire category
"non-destructive" repartitioners: http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#partition

But people want to use them anyway -- especially the hapless
non-technical users who drop in on us and expect us to perform miracles.
So, at a minimum, I always make sure they know that what they're doing
risks their data, and it's their headache if something goes wrong.

> The rest of this is roughly a Shareware-Advocacy HOWTO, with this case
> as a specific example.
>
> Q.  Should I pay this shareware fee, or can I just run off with the goodies?
> A.  If you're sure that they're "goodies" you've probably already
>     answered this for yourself ... pay up.
>
> Q.  How can I tell the software is worth anything to me at all?
> A.  Try it.  If it doesn't have your computer over for tea and send
>     you back a Mogwai that's been allowed to eat after midnight, it's
>     probably worth it.
>
>     But the real question is about value.  Did it save you enough time
>     to be worth the value this guy is charging?   For an example see
>     below.

In the case of BootIt NG, I'm not _personally_ willing to guarantee that
it does anything at all:  I didn't write it, have no business
relationship with any of the parties, and don't know a thing about it.
I don't even have an NTFS volume around to test it on.  But anyone who
wants _me_ to give him a copy has to fork over that $29.95 cheque
payable to Terabyte Unlimited.  If they don't like those terms, no
problem -- but also no disk.

My having made this clear on several mailing lists has garnered me some
pretty transrational responses.  Surprising, really.

Thank you for your comments.

--
"Is it not the beauty of an asynchronous form of discussion that one can go and
make cups of tea, floss the cat, fluff the geraniums, open the kitchen window