[conspire] Soundconfig:

Bill Stoye skiffworks at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 11 05:03:38 PST 2002

Running 'Woody';

Made change to  /etc/lilo.conf;

Using Synaptic, selected/installed kernel image 2.4.18-686;

Testing lilo failed;

Continued, figuring the fail was in vmlinuz.old, mustered up courage,
reboot.... worked;

Ran sndconfig and recieved, ERROR: No Sound Modules found;

Did, uname -r (2.2.20-idepci)???

I don't know what to ask, I'm at a loss; a history of what was done is
below, maybe more than needed but didn't know what to include or leave
out.

Failing miserably;
Bill

You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image (version
2.4.18-686)
This will not work unless you have configured your boot loader to use
initrd. (An initrd image is a kernel image that expects to use an
INITial
Ram Disk to mount a minimal root file system into RAM and use that for
booting).
As a reminder, in order to configure lilo, you need to
add an 'initrd=/initrd.img' to the image=/vmlinuz
stanza of your /etc/lilo.conf
I repeat, You need to configure your boot loader. If you have already
done
so, and you wish to get rid of this message, please put
  `do_initrd = Yes'
in /etc/kernel-img.conf. Note that this is optional, but if you do not,
you'll contitnue to see this message whenever you install a kernel
image using initrd.
Do you want to stop now? [Y/n]n

Setting up kernel-image-2.4.18-686 (2.4.18-5) ...
useful if you use a boot loader like lilo.
Do you want me to create a link from /boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-686 to
initrd.img?[Yn] y

A new kernel image has been installed, and usually that means
that some action has to be taken to make sure that the new
kernel image is used next time the machine boots. Usually,
this entails running a ``bootloader'' like SILO, loadlin, LILO,
ELILO, QUIK, VMELILO, ZIPL, or booting from a floppy.   (Some
boot loader, like grub, for example, do not need to be run on
each new image install, so please ignore this if you are using
such a boot loader).

A new kernel image has been installed. at /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-686
(Size: 618kB)

Initial rootdisk image: /boot//initrd.img-2.4.18-686 (Size: )

Symbolic links, unless otherwise specified, can be found in /

LILO sets up your system to boot Linux directly from your hard
disk, without the need for booting from a boot floppy.

WARNING
If you are keeping another operating system or another version
of Linux on a separate disk partition, you should not have LILO
install a boot block now. Wait until you read the LILO documentation.
That is because installing a boot block now might make the other
system un-bootable. If you only want to run this version of Linux,
go ahead and install the boot block here. If it does not work, you
can still boot this system from a boot floppy.

You already have a LILO configuration in /etc/lilo.conf
Install a boot block using the existing /etc/lilo.conf? [Yes]

Testing lilo.conf ...
An error occurred while running lilo in test mode, a log is
available in /var/log/lilo_log.1061. Please edit /etc/lilo.conf
manually and re-run lilo, or make other arrangements to boot
your machine.
         Please hit return to continue

Finished.

GNU nano 1.0.6           File: /var/log/lilo_log.1061

Added Linux *
Fatal: open /boot/initrd.img-2.2.20-idepci: No such file or directory

******************************
  GNU nano 1.0.6               File: /etc/lilo.conf

lba32
boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda4
install=/boot/boot-menu.b
map=/boot/map
delay=20
prompt
timeout=150
vga=normal
default=Linux

image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-686
        read-only

image=/vmlinuz.old
        label=LinuxOLD
        initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.2.20-idepci
	read-only
        optional

other=/dev/hda1
  label="Windows(hda1)"

other=/dev/hda2
  label="Linux(hda2)"

skiffworks:/home/bill# /sbin/lilo -v
LILO version 22.2, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2001 John Coffman
Released 05-Feb-2002 and compiled at 20:57:26 on Apr 13 2002.
MAX_IMAGES = 27

Reading boot sector from /dev/hda
Merging with /boot/boot-menu.b
Boot image: /vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-686
Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-686
Added Linux *

Boot image: /vmlinuz.old -> boot/vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci
Mapping RAM disk /boot/initrd.img-2.2.20-idepci
Fatal: open /boot/initrd.img-2.2.20-idepci: No such file or directory

skiffworks:/lib/modules# ls
2.2.20-idepci  2.4.18-68

skiffworks:/home/bill# uname -r
2.2.20-idepci