Subject: alt.food.lutefisk FAQ
From: Roger Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Oct 1998 20:44:15 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.food.lutefisk,soc.culture.nordic,no.alt.flame

Official alt.food.lutefisk FAQ V.1 by Roger Williams ( [email-masked] )
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

   This FAQ may be freely reposted without the express written consent of
   the NBA, Major League Baseball, or that nice Mrs. Olsen who lived next
   door and made a lutefisk that could injure a platoon of Marines. Please
   do, however, acknowledge the authorship.

**************************************************************************

Q1. What is alt.food.lutefisk?

A1. alt.food.lutefisk (known hereafter as "a.f.l.") is a forum to discuss
    the Norwegian seafood delicacy known as "lutefisk". Discussions about
    other Norwegian dishes and delicacies are not only tolerated, but
    encouraged.

**************************************************************************

Q2. Is crossposting allowed?

A1. Within limits, and where appropriate, yes. Suggested places to
    crosspost include:

    soc.culture.nordic

   ...and that's pretty much it. Let's face it: when it comes to
   soc.culture.* groups, the Scandinavians just haven't made much of an
   impact. Crossposts to other alt.food.* groups is, at the time being,
   discouraged since none of them deal with seafood, Scandinavian cuisine,
   or barely edible items.

**************************************************************************

Q3. What *isn't* allowed on alt.food.lutefisk?

A3. "Spam" is not allowed on alt.food.lutefisk."Spam" will be defined as
    "make money fast!" posts, or advertising of any non-lutefisk items.

**************************************************************************

Q4. How often shall this FAQ be reposted?

A4. Once per month. It will also be made available on the web at:

    http://www.parrot.net/lutefaq.txt

**************************************************************************

Q5. What exactly *IS* lutefisk, anyways?

A5. Lutefisk is a traditional Norwegian seafood dish made of cod, and
    either lye, or lime (the mineral, not the citrus fruit). Here is a
    sample recipe from a Swedish variation that can be found at:

   http://godzilla.eecs.berkeley.edu/recipes/ethnic/danish/lutfisk1.rec

-------begin inserted text----------------------

Title: Lutfisk
 Categories: Seafood, Ceideburg 2
      Yield: 2 servings
 
  2 1/2 lb Lutfisk
      1 c  Slaked lime
      2 qt Oak or maple ashes

Traditional on Christmas Eve.  (Dried Imported Cod)
  
  Saw fish into 3 parts, clean thoroughly and place in a wooden bowl or
  pail. Add water to cover and set in a cool place for 5 to 6 days.
  Change water each day.  Remove fish and thoroughly clean wooden bowl.
  Make a solution of water, lime and ashes and allow to stand
  overnight. Drain off clear liquid and pour over soaked fish, set in a
  cool place for 7 days. When fish is soft, remove from solution, scrub
  bowl well and soak fish for several days in cold clear water.  Cook
  in boiling salted water at simmering temperature for about 20
  minutes.  Drain well and serve. The Norwegians serve the fish with
  melted butter; the Swedes serve it with white or mustard sauce. Allow
  1/3 pound per person.

------end inserted text------------------------------------

   An eyewitness account from an American unaccustomed to Norwegian
   cuisine describes it this way

   (from http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~atman/ic/lutefisk.html )

--------begin inserted text--------------------------------

"Lutefisk is instead pretty much what you'd expect of jellied cod; it is a
foul and odiferous goo, whose gelatinous texture and rancid oily taste are
locked in spirited competition to see which can be the more responsible
for rendering the whole completely inedible."

--------end inserted text----------------------------------

**************************************************************************

Q6: Where can I find a Norwegian language lutefisk recipe?

A6: http://graficonn.no/webhotell/oppskrifter/Middag.Dinner/Lutefisk.html

**************************************************************************

Q7: Who the hell actually eats this stuff?

A7: Norwegians and Swedes. mostly as a Christmas holiday meal. Tourists to
    Scandinavian countries are occasionally tricked into eating it by
    friends who live in those countries, largely to see the humorous
    reaction of the people eating it.

**************************************************************************

Q8: Do you have to be Scandinavian to enjoy lutefisk?

A8: No, but it sure as hell can't hurt. Anyways, "enjoy" and "lutefisk"
    are not words that are commonly seen together, but your individual
    experiences here may vary.

**************************************************************************

Q9: Why do people followup posts in alt.flame from Norwegian authors by
    simply saying "lutefisk"?

A9: I have no idea. For many people, this is the only bonafide Norwegian 
    word they know.

**************************************************************************

Q10: If I visit a Scandinavian country, and decline an offer to eat
     lutefisk (out of fear of dying, vomiting, etc.), am I being rude?

A10: Yes! How *dare* you insult your gracious hosts like that! Act like an
     adult, and finish that lutefisk!

**************************************************************************

Q11: Do I have to?

A11: Yes.

**************************************************************************

   This is the end of the alt.food.lutefisk FAQ. Revisions will be made
periodically without warning and/or notice. Please acknowledge the
authorship when reposting this FAQ