Subject: XFree86
From: Robert Ruzbacky <[email-masked]>
To: LUV <[email-masked]>

To the person having the XFree86 problem (Woody distro):

Woody comes with XFree86 v4.0 (halleluia!  ....it comes with KDE 2.2,
but that's another story :))

To configure XFree86 , just type (logged in as root):

XFree86 -configure

This will configure the XFree86 automatically and put the file
XF86Config.new in your current directory (in my case, this was  /root).
To test it, type:

XFree86 -xf86config /root/XF86Config.new

If you have problems, just edit the XF86Config.new file.  In my case, I
had to change the protocol of my mouse to Microsoft to get my PS/2 mouse
to work (Yes, I know....MS on a linux box :))

Then do the following once you are happy everything is OK:

cp XF86Config.new /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Then use startx to start up your XWindows.

If you have problems, read the HOWTO at:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/XFree86-HOWTO/index.html

Rob..