Subject: ANNOUNCE: X-ISP v2.3p1: X11 visual interface to pppd/chat
From: "Dimitrios P. Bouras" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 15:10:26 +0200
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.x

Greetings to all,

  This is to announce the first patch level release to version 2.3,
 (version 2.3p1), of xisp, an X11 visual interface to pppd/chat, i.e.
 an X11 dialup networking tool. xisp is also a small ISP database
 manager and a dialup costs and connection logging tool. The LSM
 entry is included below. The distribution is in

  ftp://sunsite.unc.edu:/incoming/Linux and
  ftp://argeas.argos.hol.gr:/incoming

 right now, but it should appear in the listed locations shortly.
 To compile this latest version you need version 0.86 of xforms.
 If you want to check out the features/capabilities of xisp on the
 web, please visit http://users.hol.gr/~dbouras.

 What's new in version 2.3:

  - Phone call cost calculation and connection logging
  - New special variables "%U" and "%P" replace "%s" in script
    lines
  - Enhanced security for ip-up/ip-down via the new xispid utility
    (adapted from GNU id(1))
  - Support for .xisp-up/.xisp-down user scripts (like
    ip-up/ip-down)
  - Remote control via process signals SIGUSR1 and SIGUSR2
  - PPP interface numbers other than ppp0 (partial solution)
  - Call-back support for authenticated login methods (PAP,
    PAP-S, CHAP-S)
  - Added intelligence with regards to pppd and Linux kernel
    versions
  - Numerous bug-fixes

 What's fixed in patch-level1:

  - Updated PTT information for the Slovene Telecom. Thanks go
    to Gasper Fele <[email-masked]> for his corrections.
  - Verbose error message for the case when xispdial fails to
    start after the default waiting period of 30 seconds.
  - Minor user-interface bug-fixes for the "Dialing and Login" and
    "Communication Options" forms.

 For more detailed information please refer to the documentation
 files in the distribution. Send bug reports/enhancements/suggestions
 to [email-masked].

 With greetings from sunny Athens, Greece,

  Dimitri

--
+------------------------+---------------------------------------------+
|  Dimitrios P. Bouras   |           Tel.: +30 1 894-1320 or 968-0554  |
|  41 Pandora Str.       |   FAX: +30 1 382-7900 "Attention: Dimitri"  |
|  166 74 Athens         |  E-mail: [email-masked], [email-masked]  |
|  GREECE                |          Web: http://users.hol.gr/~dbouras  |
+------------------------+---------------------------------------------+
    "There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave
     in a vacuum."                             -- Arthur C. Clarke

Begin3
Title:          X-ISP, an X11 visual interface to pppd/chat.
Version:        October 14 1997
Entered-date:   Tue Oct 14 15:20:05 EET DST 1997
Description:    X-ISP is an X11 and XForms based visual interface
                to pppd and chat, implementing a dialup networking
                tool. Additionally, it is also a small ISP data
                base manager and a dialup costs and connection
                logging tool. Currently it only supports PPP type
                connections. To build it you need XForms-0.86 or
                later, and if you don't have it already, libXpm
                version 3.4f or later. Information on where to get
                XForms is included in the distribution.
Keywords:       PPP, X11, XForms
Author:         [email-masked] (Dimitrios P. Bouras)
Maintained-by:  [email-masked] (Dimitrios P. Bouras)
Primary-site:   sunsite.unc.edu /pub/Linux/system/network/serial
                178.2k xisp-2.3p1.tar.gz
Alternate-site: argeas.argos.hol.gr /pub/unix/linux
                178.2k xisp-2.3p1.tar.gz
Original-site:
Platform:       Linux, SunOS 4.1.x
Copying-policy: GNU GPL
End