Subject: Re: VA Linux Support Knowledgebase

From: Jay Seirmarco <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 11:40:39 -0800

Rick:

Given that you have removed all of VA Software Corporation's trademarks 
from the knowledgebase, as well as any reference to VA and/or its products, 
the Company hereby assigns to you its rights to the resulting set of 126 
articles, for the benefit of the Linux Community.  This assignment is 
without any warranties by VA and the articles are provided to you strictly 
on an "AS IS" basis, with no recourse against VA for any possible damages 
or liability suffered by you or any third party in reliance on the content 
of the articles.

Best regards,

J
At 10:58 AM 3/8/2002, you wrote:
>Dear Jay:
>
>Thank you for your time yesterday during our brief discussion, and for
>the generous offer concerning the VA Linux Technical Support
>knowledgebase, a copy of which I secured while it was publicly available
>on the Web.  (It is currently not available to the public, except in
>historical archives such as the one at http://web.archive.org/ .)
>
>I have gone through the 200+ Knowledgebase entries and eliminated all
>those I estimate to be of no ongoing interest to the Linux community,
>eliminated all references of any kind to VA Linux Systems, Inc. (and
>its predecessor names, VA Research and Fintronics), all references to
>VA Linux Systems, Inc. products, all references to VA Linux Systems's other
>on-line resources (such as Web pages and ftp sites), and all names
>covered by VA Software / VA Linux Systems-owned trademarks that I know of.
>The terms "VA", "VA Linux", "VA Linux Systems", "VA-enhanced", and
>"valinux.com" are globally removed from the contents.
>
>The resulting set of 126 articles is purely a set of technical
>information about the Linux operating system, containing no reference to
>your company or to its past or present products.  I would like the
>opportunity to offer it again to the public, for the public benefit.
>
>Consequently, I would appreciate VA Software Corporation sending me
>an e-mail assigning to me its copyright to the 126 knowledgebase articles
>I have described.  (An informal e-mail to that effect is all I need.)
>I warrant that the modified contents are as I have described, and
>do not seek any other copyright, trademark, or patent rights -- nor
>any warranty, guarantee, or other undertaking by VA Software Corporation
>as to the contents of those articles.
>
>For your convenience, I have attached the complete set of those
>articles to this e-mail, as a set of plain ASCII text files in a ZIP
>compressed archive.
>
>On behalf of the Linux community, thank you for your help, and for your
>time.
>
>Best Regards,
>Rick Moen
>2033 Sharon Road
>Menlo Park CA 94025-6246
>[email-masked]
>650-561-9820
>

-- 
Jay Seirmarco
General Counsel
VA Software Corp.
47071 Bayside Parkway
Fremont, CA 94538
Tel: (510) 687-7095
Fax: (510) 683-8612
*******************************************************************
This email may contain confidential and privileged material
for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review or
distribution by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not
the intended recipient please contact the sender and
delete all copies.
*******************************************************************