Subject: Re: [ILUG] Re: vi as a html editor
From: Ronan Waide <[email-masked]>
To: David Golden <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 00:35:12 +0100

On March 31, [email-masked] said:

> (Aside: tabstop (ts) should normally be kept at 8, change softtabstop (sts) 
> to change apparent tab stop behaviour - or you might want to set expandtab to 
> lose literal tab characters completely, for a slight impact on filesize.  
> tabstop is mainly for working around files edited by (typically windoze) 
> software that doesn't take a literal ASCII tab character to mean exactly "go 
> to next 8 column boundary", as is the norm on Unix.  You can have terrible
> problems using CVS and diff if people are using different tab conventions in 
> their editors, and the 8-character boundary is the unix standard. Note that 
> the width of literal tab characters and indentation by a particular amount 
> are completely separate issues in all but the most primitive (i.e. windoze 
> :-( )  editors/IDEs...)

Here's a pretty good read on the whole tabs thing:
http://www.jwz.org/doc/tabs-vs-spaces.html

Waider.
-- 
[email-masked] / Yes, it /is/ very personal of me.
"[company]'s basic pricing strategy is to hang the user up by his heels, see
 how much money falls out, take it all and then ask for another $50,000 for
 "support"." - Phil Greenspun