Subject: Re: Boot Up Processing?
From: Jon Martin Solaas <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Sep 1996 15:53:10 +0200
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc

"ckathman" <[email-masked]> writes:

> 
> I am trying to find out the exact sequence of events that occurs when the
> Linux system boots.

Check out this if you use SysVinit:

http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/Tips/Boot-Process-Tips/Boot-Process-Tips-3.html

-- 
Jon Martin Solaas, Larviksg. 8, 0468 OSLO           tlf: 22239111/92824395
[email-masked]                     	      http://www.ifi.uio.no/~jonso
Remember folks.  Street lights timed for 35 mph are also timed for 70 mph.
                					-- Jim Samuels

From: "CERisE...mass consumer of bazooka gum" <[email-masked]>
To: Tom Chang <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [SlugLUG] some init and boot question
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 15:01:48 -0800 (PST)

This tends to vary just a bit for each distribution.

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/From-PowerUp-To-Bash-Prompt-HOWTO.html#toc6
is a pretty good discussion

If you want a lighter, slackware-specific (but mostly general) discussion
http://www.slackware.org/config/init.php
won't steer you wrong.

-Phil/CERisE

Subject: Re: [SlugLUG] some init and boot question
From: Ignacio Solis <[email-masked]>
To: sluglug <[email-masked]>
X-Mailer: Evolution/1.0.2 
Date: 26 Feb 2002 10:18:14 -0800

1. RTFM

http://www.linuxdoc.org/guides.html at least the System Administrators
guide.

http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/osbooting/ The SysV init has info
on what you're looking for.

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/admin/aservice.html Has Mandrake info.

http://netlab.cse.ucsc.edu/redhat/doc/RH-DOCS/rhl-rg-en-7.2/index.html
(Mirror for RH 7.2) Look at the Boot process, Init and shutdown. 

2. Now for the answer:

/etc/inittab tells the system (actually, init) what to load and run on
different runlevels.

/etc/rc.d/init.d (on Mandrake/RH) has all the scripts.

/etc/rc.d/rcX.d has links to the scripts that should be _S_tarted or
_K_illed. (stoped)

To manage these scripts there are a few tools (look at the links above)
for the command line and some specific for the distro. Others prefer to
do it by hand and just 'rm' and 'ln' to their hearts content.

A few other files are general /etc/rc.d/rc.local and such. I don't think
RH and Mandrake fully comply to the LSB so they set up links everywhere
to look standard.

To speed your startup, dissable all those services you don't need. You
can try booting in single user mode to see how long that takes. Anyway,
you shouldn't be rebooting that often. :-)

Nacho

-- 
In theory, practice and theory are the same, but in practice they are
different