Subject: Re: [ILUG] windowing system
From: David Golden <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:16:53 +0000

Well, it really depends on how resource constrained you are - there             
are things like:                                                                
                                                                                
1. PicoGUI (http://www.picogui.org/)                                            
                                                                                
2. Microwindows/NanoGUI (http://www.microwindows.org/)                          
                                                                                
3. Direct-to-framebuffer gtk.                                                   
                                                                                
4. The Qtopia environment is a bit bigger (though it is Qt, and Qt is
more of a platform (like Java, but fast) than a simple GUI toolkit.)                    
Having played with Qtopia on my Zaurus for some time now, my current
thinking is that Qtopia-on-Linux is indeed quite pretty and certainly
nicer to program than WinCE.  PyQt is a dream compared to the nightmare
of eVB, and Qt/C++ is much nicer than eVC++ (but I don't particularly
like C++ anyway)                

5.  However, I'd much rather have X with its network transparency,              
flexibility, and toolkit-neutrality than any of the above!                      

Note that X isn't necessarily big, and I would consider it worthy of            
consideration - see TinyX on the Linux framebuffer.   TinyX+a modified
Gtk is reported to weigh in at 2.9MByte (comparable to Qtopia) by these
people: http://www.bluemug.com/research/gtk_embed/                                      

Dave Golden