Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Google Removes KaZaA Links in Response to DMCA Complaint
From: Seth Johnson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:08:49 -0400

> http://slashdot.org/articles/03/08/31/1349214.shtml?tid=153&tid=99

Google Removes Links in Response to DMCA Complaint

Posted by CmdrTaco on Sunday August 31, @11:08AM

from the now-thats-just-scary dept.

dioscaido ([email-masked]) writes "If you search Google for Kazaa
Lite
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=kazaa+lite),
you'll find the results a bit lacking. Ironically enough, Sherman Networks,
using the DMCA (http://www.google.com/dmca.html), filed a legal complaint to
block Kazaa Lite sites
(http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512/notice.cgi?NoticeID=789). " Google
links the DMCA request at the
end of the results which contain the URLs in question, but the URLs aren't
really the point. It's scary that the DMCA makes
URLs a copyright violation. How long before libraries can't index books? Or
own them?

----

> http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512/notice.cgi?NoticeID=789

Kazaa Owner Complains of Copyright Infringement

August 11, 2003

Sender Information:
Sharman Networks
Sent by: [Private]
Stubbs Alderton & Markiles, LLP
[private]
Encino, CA, 94136, USA

Recipient Information:
Customer Support, DMCA Complaints
Google Inc.
Mountain View, CA, 94043, USA

Sent via: Federal Express 
Re: NOTICE OF COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT 

Ladies and Gentlemen:

We act on behalf of Sharman Networks, Ltd. (the "Owner").

As required under Sections 512(c)(3) and 512(d)(3) of the Digital Millennium
Copyright Act (17 U.S.C. §§512(c)(3) and 512(d)(3)), we are instructed to
place you on
notice that:

1. The Owner is the exclusive owner of the copyrights in and to the Kazaa
Media Desktop software (the "KMD"); and

2. Utilizing the search query, "kazaa," at www.google.com, the following
search results (the "Infringing Material") contain unauthorized copies of
the KMD or
unauthorized derivative works of the KMD which infringe the KMD and the
exclusive rights of the Owner:

a. http://www.kazaagold.com
b. http://mp3download.com
c. http://www.kazaalite.tk
d. http://www.kaaza.com
e. http://doa2.host.sk
f. http://www.k-lite.tk
g. http://www.kazaa-file-sharing-downloads.com
h. http://www.kazaalite.nl
i. http://home/hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm
j. http://www.kazaa-download.de
k. http://www.zeropaid.com
l. http//www.kazaalite.nl/downloads.htm
m. http://kazaa.infos-du-net.com
n. http://www.kazaa-lite.tk
o. http://www.kazaa-lite.info

Please immediately remove or disable all access to the Infringing Material.

I have a good faith belief that the use of the Infringing Material is not
authorized by the Owner, its agents or the law. The information in this
Notice of Copyright
Infringement is accurate and under penalty of perjury, I am authorized to
act on behalf of the Owner.

Should you require any further information regarding this matter, please
contact me at the address, telephone number or email address indicated
below:

Stubbs Alderton & Markiles, LLP
[private]
Encino, California 91436
Tel: (xxx) xxx-xxxx
Email: [private]@biztechlaw.com

Very truly yours, 

[private]

image: http://www.chillingeffects.org/dmca512/notice.cgi?action=image_342

-- 

DRM is Theft!  We are the Stakeholders!

New Yorkers for Fair Use
http://www.nyfairuse.org

[CC] Counter-copyright: http://www.boson2x.org/article.php3?id_article=21

I reserve no rights restricting copying, modification or distribution of
this incidentally recorded communication.  Original authorship should be
attributed reasonably, but only so far as such an expectation might hold for
usual practice in ordinary social discourse to which one holds no claim of
exclusive rights.