Subject: Re: JDK 1.1.1 setup problem
From: tcklnbrg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 12:19:29 -0700
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup

Peter B. West wrote:

> MT wrote:
> >
> > Tried to install the JDK 1.1.1 on my just installed Redhat4.2
> > system,when I type javac I get an error saying that it cannot find my
> > native libraries. Set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to user/local/java/lib and to
> > /usr/local/java/lib/i586/green_threads but it still gives this message.
> >
> > Any suggestions ?

RedHat 4.2 will automatically install JDK1.02 and kaffee and some other java
stuff....If you try install the java-linux porting project's JDK1.1.1 or
(newest) 1.1.3, you will run into CLASSPATH problems due to collision with
the other java installations.

*Strong advice* for all users of RedHat4.2 who want to develop in Java:
take your pick of JDK's...but USE ONLY 1----UNINSTALL ALL THE OTHERS...or
*face the consequences* of multiple CLASSPATHS, PATHS, ETC!

My sugestion:   Use the java-linux porting project's jdk1.1.3
(Blackdown.org), *uninstall* all of the RedHat supplied java-stuff, and *do
not* set any CLASSPATH  * anywhere* ....let the JDK's java wrapper do the
CLASSPATH stuff.  If you need to add extra classpath paths, modify the java
wrapper.

Best Wishes.

Ann Tecklenburg