Subject: Re: What's changed; what's not

From: Rick Moen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 02:49:18 -0800 (PST)

Bill Garrett wrote:

> I'm unable to ftp or telnet to hugin right now (c. 9:30am, Monday).
> In both cases, the computer prompts for my name and password but
> denies access.  Is this a problem remaining from hugin's troubles
> last week?

On Monday morning, hugin had hardware problems coming out its 
metaphorical ears, which I noticed when I came back from the East
Bay, Monday morning.  It was getting a large number of SCSI errors 
whenever it tried to read its root drive (again), and, among other
things, large portions of the System V init tree were unreadable.

I took just enough time to copy /var/spool/mail/rick to another machine,
then tried a shutdown.  The filesystem was so damaged that it wouldn't
even do an orderly shutdown, so I power-cycled, and the root filesystem
turned out to be so damaged that it wouldn't boot at all.

I've now switched to a different hard drive entirely, a new, short SCSI
cable, and active termination.  Hugin has had to be, once again, built
from saved files, and I believe it to be back on-line.

We're still using a slow, 11-year-old SCSI adapter, because the machine's
EISA configuration is so whacked out that it won't recognise either of
my EISA SCSI adapters.  Thus, the machine will be a bit slow until I 
can find out how to clear the EISA CMOS, and put my EISA adapter back.

-- 
Cheers,                                     The Viking's Reminder:
Rick Moen                                   Pillage first, _then_ burn.
rick (at) hugin.imat.com