Subject: Improvements at hugin

From: Rick Moen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 06:34:55 -0800 (PST)

I just fixed a bunch of things.

1. Installed quite a lot of update packages to Red Hat 4.2, including
perl 5.004 (security fix), elm 2.4.25 rev. 8, lynx 2.7.1 rev. 8, 
ncftp 2.4.2 rev. 4, and quite a number of others, which you'll find 
among the files in /usr/local/src/installed/.

2. New Apache 1.2.5.  Now runs as user & group "httpd", rather than "nobody".
You'll see new generic icons in /usr/local/etc/httpd/icons/, reachable
in "http://" references as directory /icons/.  Logs in /var/log/httpd/
will now be properly aged by the logrotate facility.  Also put in a newer
version of the ftp daemon (another security fix).

3. Sendmail 8.8.8, with extensive anti-spam filtering.  Mail from hosts/
domains, e-mail addresses, and IP addresses listed in /etc/mail/deny
will now be rejected, systemwide.  Also, hugin will no longer relay
e-mail.  (That is, mail originating from another host will no longer
be accepted if it's addressed to a non-hugin address.)

4.  In case anyone else cares, I've compiled & installed the very latest
tin v. 1.4 beta (newsreader).

5.  Compiled and installed pgp 5.0 (international), beta 8a.

6.  Compiled and installed ssh v. 1.2.21.  We are once again running
sshd (the ssh daemon), and offer all ssh client services (such as scp).

7.  Compiled and installed HSC v. 0.915 and SP 1.2 (HTML/SGML 
preprocessors).

8.  Configured and installed file-upload.cgi in /usr/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin.
You'll find a test script for it in 
/usr/local/etc/httpd/html/waygate/upload.html.  Haven't checked it, yet.
Similarly, there's a "man.cgi" script that's said to give Web-based
access to system "man" pages.  Haven't tested that, either.

9.  Installed support for Network Time Protocol (as a client).

10.  Repaired dangling symlinks throughout the system, and converted
them to relative directory references, where they used absolute paths.

As always, if you see anything wrong, please let me know.

-- 
Cheers,                                     The Viking's Reminder:
Rick Moen                                   Pillage first, _then_ burn.
rick (at) hugin.imat.com