Subject: Re: [svlug] Pre-installing a Boot drive
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 15:57:18 -0700 (PDT)

> From: George Bonser <[email-masked]>

>>      As I recall, some of you had favored the use of TAR for moving large
>> blocks of files, rather than something like the archival recursive options
>> of CP. Is there some advantage of using Tar vs CP?  Or is there another way?

>> (The drive geometries are not identical, so dd probably won't work...?)

> As soon as you hit the /dev/directory you will learn the value of tar!

Actually, cp will work fine -- there is no need to use tar if you are using
a root partition partitioning scheme.

just use:

cp -ax / /mnt/new-disk

the -x option will limit the copy command to not copy the /proc and
/mnt/new-disk directories so everything should be A-OK.  The -a (archive)
option will preserve links and permissions.  All you need to do
is:

mkdir /mnt/new-disk/proc

after it's done.  Also you need to go through the task of re-installing
LILO onto the second drive which will require booting off of a floppy diskette
one time around and running /sbin/lilo -- supreme pain in the neck *sigh*.

Check out the Hard-Disk-Upgrade howto on a couple more tricks for accomplishing
the same task.

--Patrick.